My final panel for my OU course (10 images)

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Chris of Arabia, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    These are the final panel of images (or very close versions of the same images) I'm submitting for my Open University T189 "Digital Photography: creating and sharing better images " course. Its only 10 weeks long, so nothing to get too excited about. Think you'll have seen all these before at some point, hence to reduced size this time round. Hopefully I've hyperlinked them well enough to look at the larger size if you really wanted to. I have to title them too before Monday, but you'll have to make do with numbers for now. They are also in the order the assessor gets to see them too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still not 100% sure on the last one, but I've a couple of days to mull that over. Think I'll pass?

2. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, I'd say you pass! It's good to see them all at once. Have missed a few before now (like #2, which I quite like). Where is #10 from?

3. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if i was not a twrok and had time for serious comments, I would comment ;)

but now I can only say there are some very nice images in that collection.

the last one sticks out since it is very conventional compared to the rest. but that is not a bad thing.

4. Jermz_01

Jermz_01 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #2 and #7 really grab my eye...

2 is very chaotic... I don't know the pass/fail criteria, but I think you should be okay

5. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    #2 is very much the joker in the pack - it was shot because somebody asked for a picture of my washing machine whilst it was running during my MOTW thread. I liked the end result, chaotic or not - it amused me at the time, because I can see a pair of my boxer shorts in there.

#10 is Looe Harbour. They allow you to include shots that were taken before the course started. This is one of them, as is #8. It is conventional, which is probably why I'm hesitant about it. I was trying to strike a balance between the number of landscape/portrait oriented shots and between the colour/B+W ones. I felt that last one needed to be colour and landscape which is why it ended up being selected. I could have nipped up the road and got some sand dunes this afternoon, but I don't think that would have improved things much.

6. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Be forever grateful, eh? ;) ;) ;) :biggrin:

Why-o-why might I like Photo 4 :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: ???

:lol:

7. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    Well, all was submitted about 5 minutes ago, along with 600+ words on a selection of questions demonstrating my 'visual awareness', 'technical control' and 'characteristics of my photography' - never before have I written so much waffle in so few a number of words.

8. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love 9! (I know people are falling in love with different numbers but that is probably the best part, is EVERY image is reaching out to touch someone over a broad range rather than everyone liking one number more than all the rest, proving that you didn't just take ONE good photo, but a slew of good photos with the decision in a favorite very hard to make, bravo!) You'll definitely get good marks.

9. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    Well, today, I got back the final bit of feedback from the marker of the panel of images above. It's a bit of a lengthy narrative, but it's interesting to see how different people view this sort of stuff. The narrative is in two parts and also has a couple of supporting tables which I can't reproduce here.

Part 1 (i) Visual Awareness - unique comments on panel and overall grade achieved (e.g. emerging strengths, weaknesses, visual creativity, variety in use of camera/image editing, overall impact)

Part 1 (ii) Technical Quality - unique comments on panel and overall grade achieved (e.g. emerging strengths, weaknesses, technical creativity)

On the tables, which are marked with tick and crosses for strengths and weaknesses respectively, there were a total of 23 ticks and 10 crosses. Image 4 got 6 of the crosses and Image 6 got 7 of the ticks. Guess I can work out was was liked and what wasn't from that.

10. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Did you agree with the comments? As you noted, it's always interesting to get the views of different people

11. duncanp

duncanp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    great set, you show a great variety of skills

12. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    I guess I tend to think the reaction to #4 is just a shade on the harsh side, and the effusiveness over #6 is overdone.

I get the impression that the comments on the technical side of #9 were a case of needing something to say. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the images are perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but if technical flaws needed picking up, I'm sure I could have found better examples in the other images.