My first 7 months of photography (please critique!)

Firstly I love the way you got to travel in Seven months. :)
Secondly I love your enthusiasm.
Thirdly I love you trying different Genres to settle down on what you like shooting the most.
Lastly Keep shooting my friend a couple of months more and the babies will start arriving, ;)

Cheers!
Jasii

Way too many for a detailed critique, but in general, I will say that I did not see any that stood out from the pack. Keep on shooting!
??
Are you saying these are not great images?

If so, I disagree.
If not, you post could use some clarification.
IMO

Way too many for a detailed critique, but in general, I will say that I did not see any that stood out from the pack. Keep on shooting!
??
Are you saying these are not great images?

If so, I disagree.
If not, you post could use some clarification.
IMO
Remember that it's important to be objective when providing C&C. Saying that there are no stand-out images simply means that all of the images are (in that poster's view) approximately equal in terms of quality. I agree with that statement. The OP has posted a nice set of images, and when you factor in that he has only been at this a few months, then they're all the more impressve, but "great images" is a bit of a stretch. "Half Dome", Migrant Mother", and "Powerhouse" are great images. Very, very, very few of us will ever create one great image in our career, let alone a multitude.

Usually I am happy to offer some C&C, and one or possibly two images per thread I will provide what I can. This many photographs is just way WAY WAY too many for any kind of detailed analysis.

I'd advocate and advise users posting for CnC to certainly post less most times; and if they read the link in my signature they can get more advance on how best to get CnC.

However I'd like to take a moment to say that those giving comments/crits can select one of many to comment upon. It's a little more productive than just multiple "There were too many so I gave up" posts.

bmoffitt1990; #7 (column) is my favorite. Your frame has included the moon, but it's not contributing much to the image, so your photograph would probably have been better without it.

Leaving just the building components then, the composition is unbalanced with too much sky on one side (which is looking mostly empty), and you missed an opportunity to include more of the building details in the shot.

Remember that it's important to be objective when providing C&C. Saying that there are no stand-out images simply means that all of the images are (in that poster's view) approximately equal in terms of quality. I agree with that statement. The OP has posted a nice set of images, and when you factor in that he has only been at this a few months, then they're all the more impressve, but "great images" is a bit of a stretch. "Half Dome", Migrant Mother", and "Powerhouse" are great images. Very, very, very few of us will ever create one great image in our career, let alone a multitude.
Wow- your definition of 'great' is pretty restrictive!

I meant great as in- "really nice" or "something that would make me proud".

What Tirediron describes, I would call more like 'legendary', such as Moonrise, Hernandez by Ansel Adams.

I almost clicked 'disagree' to your post, but it always rubs me the wrong way when people do that- so I'll just say we employ the word 'great' in a different fashion (and/or have artistic differences!).

Anyhow, to the OP- I think your images are VERY NICE (if that works for us all). ;)

Anyhow, to the OP- I think your images are VERY NICE (if that works for us all). ;)
Yeah, words mean things. Like the meaning of words and all. Use the correct word, and everything is good. Use the wrong word, and all he!! breaks loose.

Yeah, words mean things. Like the meaning of words and all. Use the correct word, and everything is good. Use the wrong word, and all he!! breaks loose.
Ha! "Grouch" means something to me.

To me, I am in with Designer. One of the things I found common to most of the photos (the railroad tracks in the snow was the exception) was the lack of composition. The locations were pretty, but the photos were to me just a travelogue. Generally the care put into the taking of the photos is easily communicated to the viewer. The one thing I noticed on all the photos is that almost every one of them is perfectly centered in the frame. There is very little variation from that format. I would like to see the OP begin exploring compositional techniques and spend more time planning the shots they take. The funny part is, they still centered the railroad tracks, but thanks to leading lines it worked in that photo. But I am not sure the OP thought of that when they took it. BTW, this is a generalization since there were SO many photos in the bunch. Since so many of the photos exhibited the same characteristics it is clear to me that this is how the OP shoots generally.

#2, #7, and #8 win it for me. Love the shadow detail in the column, like the leading lines in the railroad tracks ... but the starkness and abstraction, and contrast in #8 carry the day for me. I like it ... definitely keep shooting.

BTW ... look at #8 ... left and right sides of the image ... faint spots ... is that sensor dust?

I like the photos. Find them interesting. I would comment that where there is motion captured it's important to try to have the not moving parts be in focus. I did notice a few where a vertical or horizontal line was a little off. Not much in any case but a little.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Off topic - I don't understand why some folks just have to attack others opinions, it's as if they just can't help themselves and the same folks do it in thread after thread.. Why not just state your own opinion and leave it at that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back