My first and last experience with Zeikos

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First and foremost, I know plenty on here have had great experiences with aftermarket gear. However, my grip stopped recognizing the battery so I decided to just buy a zeikos. I figured at 50 bucks shipped I couldn't go wrong with the mdb10. Came in today and I mounted it on the camera. The light kept blinking and the grip seemed a little loose so I made sure it was tight. The attachment wheel went from loose to spinning. Never got tight. It was stuck on my damn camera. I can see over tightening but it never was tight. I called up amazon and explained that I just got it and it was stuck so on so forth. Told them the only way to exchange or refund was to destroy the grip since it was screwed into the tripod mount. They noted my account, refunded me, and said they would make sure that it was clear what happened since they are going to get a destroyed grip. I took a knife and needle nose pliers and managed to get it off without damaging my camera. Needless to say, I'm just going to buy an OEM mbd10 from KEH this week. Here's some photos

$image-2508344893.jpg

$image-2580405480.jpg

Bummer! I feel your pain. I just sent back my Vello, it was junk, wouldn't sit tight on the camera and never read the battery pack. I did always feel that I needed to be careful not to overtighten the damn thing. Good thing I didn't. I ordered a Nikon one for my d800 and it works great.

that sucks! the only Zeikos item I have is a corded remote release, I got it knowing it probably wasn't the best and likely wouldn't last long, so at $6 a pop, I just got 2 of them incase one died. but I've dropped, pulled, and even stepped on the main one I use and it is still kicking. but the complexity of remotes vs grips is quite different, I haven't really been looking for a grip, but if I do I'll have to steer clear of third party ones.

Glad you got the thing off. And good for Amazon letting you return a destroyed grip.

Luckily I bought a OEM MBD11. Even though it's OEM I really don't like how it's not 100% snug fit especially when it's portrait.
But I've never had a problem with it.

Ahhh... a little duct tape and you'll be back in business.

Glad you got the thing off. And good for Amazon letting you return a destroyed grip. Luckily I bought a OEM MBD11. Even though it's OEM I really don't like how it's not 100% snug fit especially when it's portrait. But I've never had a problem with it.

Yea I told him that I would have to take It to a repair shop and they would destroy it or I will have to. The thumb dial just kept spinning like it was dead on arrival and almost effed up my camera.

Also returned a Vello Pixel battery grip. It drained the battery, whether in the camera or the grip. And even with the camera switched off. Usually in about 8 days.

Couldn't communicate with the Vello folks to find a remedy. They speak Chinese. I speak English. I bought a 3rd party grip because I didn't wan't to pay the $220 for the genuine Nikon article. $85 sounded much better.

Amazon refunded my money and I got the Nikon part. Unlike the Vello (plastic), the Nikon MB-D11 is made of cast magnesium. Built to take the shock and stress of camera/grip/lens while handling or mounting on a tripod.

There is no free lunch.:wink: Although I've read plenty of forums and people seem to have had good luck with Meike and Zeikos and Bowers.

I'm actually a little bit surprised that Amazon even bothered to have you send it back. One thing I'll say for Amazon; I've never had any complaints with their return policies. I bought some lights for a lighting kit, and one was broken. They just shipped another, no questions asked. Another time, I ordered two 16-gb sd cards, which they sent. Twice. I called to tell them they'd shipped the same order twice and they said to just keep them. That was a happy day! :D

Bummer about that grip! I've been fortunate so far--first and only grip I've ever bought was a USED 3rd-party grip. But I bought it used from Sparky, so I guess he'd trained it well. :D

Amazon didn't handle the return. They directed me to a distributor in New Jersey. On anything but convenience items, I don't like to shop mail order. For the reason that the local camera store where I bought all my equipment will answer questions and have my trust. No time differences nor language gaps.

Spend less, get less. Side by side, the differences between fake and Nikon grips aren't subtle.

Most reactions

Back