My first attempt at motion

alyeska41

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took this in the mall yesterday, played with different settings to convey the motion of the merry go round.... I know it's not perfect but I think I have the general idea... any comments, suggestions and advice is welcome..

Thanks Siobhan

carosel7005224ri.jpg

unfortunately the merry go round is in a mall.... the lights are bright no matter which angle I shoot from.... guess next attempt will be at a carnival or fair ...

I don't have a problem with the background - it's not perfect but then nothing ever is. At least the burn-out gets rid of a lot of detail in the store that would have been even more distracting.
The fault I would pick is that you have the space down the left with the roundabout going out of the right of frame. This gives it a sense of leaving the picture, as if it has come free of it's mounts.
Putting the space down the right so it looks like the roundabout is coming into shot would be better.
I'd do a re-shoot. Now that you have the motion thing, play around to try out different aproaches. It's always worth it.

I see what you mean about the pic leaving the frame.... next time I am near a merry go round.. going to try for a better pic... was just messing with the shutterspeed, looking for the right settings... :) I'll post my next attempt... thanks again for the suggestions and advice:)

Siobhan

I would agree with Hertz. I also believe a DOF like you have here is important to add stability to the image. If the DOF was shallow blurring the background the whole image would appear like an oops IMO. The motion attempt was well done, I am a little disappointed at the blurring of the closest objects. I find it difficult to even tell what they were.

Great attempt and I look forward to seeing your next ones.

Carousels are very beautiful works of art.
I think your angle is a little funny, and I think you got a little too much floor in the shot, maybe crop that out a bit...
the lights look very nice blurred, but not so much the horses

Most reactions

Back