My first attempt at waterfalls

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, they're man made, and I've taken some pictures of waterfalls in the past but they've sucked. This is the first time I've done a long exposure during the daytime. Lemme know what you think.

The Falls by Michael Long, on Flickr

Shot with my H1, Portra 400, f45, 0.4s

Looking good. Any longer and not so much. To me. it looks like water falling should.

These are quite good for your first attempt at long exposures in the daytime. Your time of 0.4 sec. is probably pretty good for this one, but I always try to take a few images of any falls I photograph - each one at a slightly different exposure time. I would bet that you could have gone to 0.5-0.6 secs and still had a good image. The one thing I have found is that a lot of the exposure time seems to depend on not only the size of the falls - higher falls tend to require longer exposure times, but it also seems to be a bit dependent on the volume of water going over the falls - large volumes of water seem to require less exposure time. Now, more or less may be measured in tenths of a second, but that is why I always take a number of images at different exposure times. I would encourage you to experiment as much as you can with each falls you photograph.

WesternGuy

These are quite good for your first attempt at long exposures in the daytime. Your time of 0.4 sec. is probably pretty good for this one, but I always try to take a few images of any falls I photograph - each one at a slightly different exposure time. I would bet that you could have gone to 0.5-0.6 secs and still had a good image. The one thing I have found is that a lot of the exposure time seems to depend on not only the size of the falls - higher falls tend to require longer exposure times, but it also seems to be a bit dependent on the volume of water going over the falls - large volumes of water seem to require less exposure time. Now, more or less may be measured in tenths of a second, but that is why I always take a number of images at different exposure times. I would encourage you to experiment as much as you can with each falls you photograph.

WesternGuy

Pretty good assessment..... :)

Well, they're man made, and I've taken some pictures of waterfalls in the past but they've sucked. This is the first time I've done a long exposure during the daytime. Lemme know what you think.

Love the falls/water--very good job with that. Hate the sky (and that's a problem with a long exposure during the day--you often get a washed out sky). And b/c the sky is so white, that unconsciously draws the viewer's eye. I'd look at a re-crop. Or change the angle. Or clone some trees in to that upper right third of the photo. Or crop just to get the upper shelf of the falls. Or a column (portrait orientation). Remember, your job is not to document the falls as they exist. It's to create a composition (so you decide what goes in and what goes out of the picture). Don't be afraid to depict the falls in a manner that they don't exist in the real world (by making them narrower or more tree enclosed or flatter).

Love the falls/water--very good job with that. Hate the sky (and that's a problem with a long exposure during the day--you often get a washed out sky). And b/c the sky is so white, that unconsciously draws the viewer's eye. I'd look at a re-crop. Or change the angle. Or clone some trees in to that upper right third of the photo. Or crop just to get the upper shelf of the falls. Or a column (portrait orientation). Remember, your job is not to document the falls as they exist. It's to create a composition (so you decide what goes in and what goes out of the picture). Don't be afraid to depict the falls in a manner that they don't exist in the real world (by making them narrower or more tree enclosed or flatter).

All he needs is some graduated ND filters to fix that sky [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You act like you know a thing or two :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

You act like you know a thing or two :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's all an act [emoji6]

What I REALLY should have brought with is a tripod... I did this with my camera perched on a rock using my watch to hold the lens up a little and the strap under the grip to hold it level... Then used the timer and let it rip.

Thanks for the honest CC guys.

What I REALLY should have brought with is a tripod... I did this with my camera perched on a rock using my watch to hold the lens up a little and the strap under the grip to hold it level... Then used the timer and let it rip.

Thanks for the honest CC guys.
Hey, I've not only perched a camera on a rock, it's also a reason why I have a small bungie cord in my camera holster. Good photographers find a way to get the shot. Keep up the good work and share the results!

Most reactions

Back