My first attempts at landscapes

No, horizon line still not level and you should put either the sky or foreground in the thirds line across. If the sky is more interesting, then give it the upper 2/3rds of the composition, it the foreground is more interesting, then give it the lower 2/3rds. Not an absolute but generally a good approach. The first one has a leading line so I would place that in the upper right 3rds area cross hair, which should eliminate the shadow in lower right. Classic example of thinking about what you want the viewer to see, expose, focus, frame, shoot, enjoy.

30344697115_b1b7763500_ke.jpg

Last edited:
No, horizon line still not level and you should put either the sky or foreground in the thirds line across. If the sky is more interesting, then give it the upper 2/3rds of the composition, it the foreground is more interesting, then give it the lower 2/3rds. Not an absolute but generally a good approach. The first one has a leading line so I would place that in the upper right 3rds area cross hair, which should eliminate the shadow in lower right. Classic example of thinking about what you want the viewer to see, expose, focus, frame, shoot, enjoy.

View attachment 128738
Thank you will need to remember that

View attachment 128738
Thank you will need to remember that
You already do it with wild life, just stop and think. You shoot the wildlife automatically because you were trained at it.

For a landscape, it's generally, but not always, a good idea to have less foreground and more middleground and distance in the shot. Get the camera up higher off the ground and look forward, not down.

Here are some more tips:

26 tips for landscapes
Nat Geo 1
Nat Geo 2

First comment ... you got something on your sensor.
Continuation ... I have a question, when you looked at these scenes (before you shot it) do you remember what you saw that made you take a picture of them ?
If you do remember ... does it look like what you though you saw ?
... and what you do you really think of the images now ?

I nearly always try to have 3 main sections in my landscapes. Some foreground, middle ground and distance (thinking of it in this way helped me a lot). Often it can be good to include focal points (or anchors) especially in the foreground and distance. If you can offset the anchors then it tends to make the shot better, as it will lead the eye through the shot. You can then incororate stuff like leading lines or alignment to add emphasis. Good landscapes are mostly about compositional balance and leading the viewers eye through the shot to each element, while creating a frame within the shot. Negative space is important, as are areas of brightness. Zig zag patterns work well as do sweeping curves. I don't tend to like horizontal lines in the frame as I think it often creates a visual barrier to the viewer. But cutting a horizontal line with a leading line can be very powerful in a shot, but you still need a focal point for your eye to lead to.

Your shots above lack focus (compostionally) to me. There are no main focal points or anchors, to focus my attension and because of that and a lack of framing inside the shot its a miss for me.

Ssying that rules are made to be broken, so a jarring image can be created by ignoring these things but then you get into the abstact/conceptual art stuff which is a whole different ball game.

First comment ... you got something on your sensor.
Continuation ... I have a question, when you looked at these scenes (before you shot it) do you remember what you saw that made you take a picture of them ?
If you do remember ... does it look like what you though you saw ?
... and what you do you really think of the images now ?
I did not see anything my dad said to try the one down the path the other two i just wanted to try out landscape photography

Ah, Ok ... your DAD made you do it.
I find landscape images harder to take than wildlife ... since it is very evident what the centre of attention is.
You really have to see the scene the same way as your camera is going to capture it ... not an easy thing to do. Takes practice ... like the practice you have given to wildlife photography.
You really have to "see" the landscape scene in your head and figure out how to get that same thing onto the sensor ... that is if you really want to take landscape shots.
I think your DAD wants you to explore other types of photographic imagery ... its up to you to want to.

I nearly always try to have 3 main sections in my landscapes. Some foreground, middle ground and distance (thinking of it in this way helped me a lot). Often it can be good to include focal points (or anchors) especially in the foreground and distance. If you can offset the anchors then it tends to make the shot better, as it will lead the eye through the shot. You can then incororate stuff like leading lines or alignment to add emphasis. Good landscapes are mostly about compositional balance and leading the viewers eye through the shot to each element, while creating a frame within the shot. Negative space is important, as are areas of brightness. Zig zag patterns work well as do sweeping curves. I don't tend to like horizontal lines in the frame as I think it often creates a visual barrier to the viewer. But cutting a horizontal line with a leading line can be very powerful in a shot, but you still need a focal point for your eye to lead to.

Your shots above lack focus (compostionally) to me. There are no main focal points or anchors, to focus my attension and because of that and a lack of framing inside the shot its a miss for me.

Ssying that rules are made to be broken, so a jarring image can be created by ignoring these things but then you get into the abstact/conceptual art stuff which is a whole different ball game.
Thanks

Ah, Ok ... your DAD made you do it.
I find landscape images harder to take than wildlife ... since it is very evident what the centre of attention is.
You really have to see the scene the same way as your camera is going to capture it ... not an easy thing to do. Takes practice ... like the practice you have given to wildlife photography.
You really have to "see" the landscape scene in your head and figure out how to get that same thing onto the sensor ... that is if you really want to take landscape shots.
I think your DAD wants you to explore other types of photographic imagery ... its up to you to want to.
no my dad did not make you he just said that it might be a good idea to try and get low to the ground for the one on the path he said that it would be a good idea to try for the one with the path the other two i just liked the look of the marsh

Most reactions

New Topics

Back