My first attempts at night photography...

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
plant1_001.jpg

plant2.jpg

The above shots were taken about 15 minutes apart at a recycling plant. My Epson 2450 scanner doesn't like dark transparencies and cut off parts of these images. :?

I was a bit challenged with this assignment because, as much as I love my Pentax MZ-S, apparently the shutter release cable is proprietary to this model - and costs over sixty bucks. The camera's shutter will operate up to 30 seconds before going into bulb mode. When my exposure was for over 30 seconds, I did double exposures - and crossed my fingers that it would work.

I like the starburst effect I got on the lights, but have no idea why they appeared. I thought you had to have that filter for this effect.... ? If anyone can explain this I'd appreciate it!

This last one was taken outside a Mexican restaurant. There were tons of people coming and going, but only the few in the corner recorded. I thought I'd have some ghosting in this image.

cantina.jpg

Interesting shots Terri and I'm impressed with the additive exposure times approach, very innovative and brave!
I'm somewhat curious about the first two shots in that it seems the building with the tower on the right is at an angle to the tower and building it's connected to and it's the same in both shots. Is this reality, some function of how you took the pic or some aberration in my head?
BTW, my first attempt at night photography occurred when I left the lens cap on.

Hi again Terri,
Re your question about the star effect around the lights, don't I remember Chase making a comment once that if the "F" stop is way high (small aperture) you can get this effect?

BTW, my first attempt at night photography occurred when I left the lens cap on.

Now that made me laugh.....! :D

You know, I didn't even notice that funny angle until you pointed it out....it's definitely nothing I did on purpose. This was shot with a 20mm lens, so maybe there is a bit of distortion there from the wide angle....? That would be my best guess. hmmm.....

Oh! You might have it dead on there, this was in fact shot at f22.... cool! I learned something. :D

I didn't know Chase knew anything about photography! That's very reassuring. :LOL:

terri said:
I didn't know Chase knew anything about photography! That's very reassuring. :LOL:

You know the old saw about a blind pig and an acorn....

Yeah, the more you stop down the greater the star effect. Same with the sun. If you want to keep the sun (or any light source) round, shoot wide open.

Very nice first attempt at night photography. Unfortunately I have a digital and the shutter won't stay open long enough to do really good at this sort of thing.

The color spectrum in the first shot is impressive, and it appears your multiple exposure technic worked well.

Great job.

Thank you so much for your comments! I really appreciate it. :D

In viewing the slides again tonight (in preparation for class critique tomorrow) it annoys me all over again that my scanner refuses to read the entire transparency if there's too much black in the image. That long staircase to the left leads up to a huge tank with yet another starburst light on top.....you can tell my the nearly square images that these 35mm images just aren't coming over all the way. Compositionally, they have more visual interest on the slide than what shows here.

Thanks again!

terri said:
You know, I didn't even notice that funny angle until you pointed it out....it's definitely nothing I did on purpose. This was shot with a 20mm lens, so maybe there is a bit of distortion there from the wide angle....? That would be my best guess. hmmm.....

I'd say it's the wide angle lens (20mm is very WA), and a low perspective of the towers.

Sometimes when your lens is off, take a look at the shape of the aperture, you'll notice it's a hexagon; now count the points on the stars.

Maybe you can find a Pentax release on EBAY for cheaper. I had to buy one for my ZX-5. It's another piece of plastic; there is no justification for it's expense other than they've got us over a barrel. I expected more from Pentax. It just goes to show that you can't trust modern photography manufacturers, because it's not at all about photography for them, it's all about the cash money. Capitalist Pigs!! They have no art in their souls.

terri said:
This last one was taken outside a Mexican restaurant. There were tons of people coming and going, but only the few in the corner recorded. I thought I'd have some ghosting in this image.

This is a great way to "lose" unwanted people in an image. Using slow film, a tiny aperture, and a neutral density filter (of course, all on a tripod)you can even cause moving folks to disappear in the daylight.

If you wanted to capture some of the people, just hand hold your flash, unconnected to the camera, and push the test button while the long exposure is being made. Whether they are solid or "ghosts" will depend on subject to flash distance, and the f/stop you are using on the camera. You can show the same people in different locations in the same pic.

Another variation: dress in your ninja suit (all black) and you can enter the photograph to very precisely flash subject matter. As long as you stay behind the flash, and keep from getting between the camera and something that is being flashed, you won't show up in the pic unless you linger too long in one spot.

What a cool idea!! I was actually expecting the ghosting here and wanted it, frankly, to add interest by showing the "busy-ness" of this place. It's always packed, there's always some kind of wait, and the food is always fresh and perfect. I want to head back there armed with your nuggets, Matt, and try this again. Thanks so much.

Yeah, Pentax really screwed the pooch on this cable design, imo. There is no reason that I can see to put that design on the camera - my old ME takes any cheap cable I can find and works great. Bastards!! :wink: That being said, I WILL give mad props to them for allowing me to use the expensive new lenses I bought (including my precious 20 mm) on the old ME. That allows me to shoot my HIE film with more than the old 50mm that's been on there for years. So my ME has in effect become my HIE camera and the MZ-S everything else, and they can share those lenses. That's kind of a biggie.

So....I guess I have to forgive them for the cable crap. You're right - I can check eBay and it'll probably be there.

Yes, I'm glad that I can use the same lenses on my ZX-5 as I can my K-1000. I even went a step further and bought the adapter that will let me use Pentax screwmount lenses on K-mount cameras. I bought a 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar for $25.

This whole long exposure thing and especially those suggestions from KS have really got me thinking.
Next time I feel like playing with camera I'll have to try some of those tricks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back