My first basket ball game

rlcphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
how about some advice on proceedures to do these.

Im using the Sigma 70/200 2.8 EX lens and or a Sigma 2.8 -4DG lens

these are the fastest lens I have for the time being

Most indoor basketball places and gymnasiums have horrible lighting. The one at my school is aweful. I use 800 ASA film without flash or 400ASA with a flash (sometimes making annoying shadows) both with my lens at f/3.5.

With the 400 speed I get just slightly dark images. not horribly dark, just darker than id like at 1/125.

With 800 I get 1/250 of a second. (my flash sync is only 1/125 on my camera) The drawback is that I get I lot of grain in some of the pictures.

your best option is to push your cameras limits. use the fastest shutter speed (absolute SLOWEST being 1/125. any slower youll get negative amounts of motion blurr. at 1/125 I get some blurr but it looks pretty cool. at 1/250 I get almost none, At 1/500 you hardly get any at all.

If you like stopping action, than do what it takes to get to 1/500. Otherwise use 1/250 where its not in most of the picture or if you really like the look of action use 1/125 and itll be in most, but not all of the pictures.

If your close enough, the use of a flash is very very usefull for sports if you can get close. I use a 35-105mm f/3.5 lens sitting front row at my gym. I move myself when the teams switch sides.

Have fun shooting!

Everything will depend on the venue that you're shooting in-- you could shoot in a Division I or professional arena and have no problem getting 1/500 at ISO800, but some highschool gyms may be so dark that nothing will get clean images.

A shutter speed of 1/400 is usually ideal, whatever you can do to get there you should-- 1/320 is probably as slow as you should go without strobes / flash. You should set the camera to continuos shooting, AI-Servo, and it might be a good idea to custom white balance, though sodium vapor lights are all over the place color wise.

Chances are you'll wind up shooting just with the 70-200 though a wider lens can give you some nice stuff.

wow!! now that is what I call info!!!!thanx a million:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back