My first big print!

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I finally got my first big prints made out just in time to gift two of them for christmas. Gave one to my mom and one to my brother and luckily enough they both loved them. My friend at work was wrong about the type of printer that was being used for large prints (ink jet rather than color laser) and they turned out pretty good but not exactly what I would consider professional photo print quality so I guess I will be searching for a different avenue before I sell any. Just thought I'd share a snapshot of them here for the heck of it! :wink:

print6625.jpg

OOps thought I posted that! :oops: They were both printed 20x30 on a Canon 8 color production inkjet (not sure of model). Thank You for the compliment! Can't wait to get some more done. The next run will be 24x36" as a test print proved to me that I think they look better in an even larger size :wink:

where is the printer coming from? did u have to pay to get them printed? if so how much? and whered u get the frames, id love to make some posters, also, what was the size of the pic, res., on the computer?

tekzero said:
where is the printer coming from? did u have to pay to get them printed? if so how much? and whered u get the frames, id love to make some posters, also, what was the size of the pic, res., on the computer?

Well the printer is where I work. I don't know the model specifically but it looks similar to this one . . .

irpro150vp_large.jpg

The black plastic frames were Wal-Mart $9 cheapies and the image size on the PC was 6000x9000 @ 300dpi and a file size of 515mb :shock:

I think the printer may have done a better job if I let its internal processing handle the interpolation though :? ? Anyway, the printer is set up mainly for graphics printing which blows out my shadow detail in the end. So I will be sending some out to on-line pro-finishers for a test soon. With my employee discount the 20x30" prints cost me only $7.50ish a piece though so it was a cheap lesson :wink:

nice one congrats on the big print - looks good from here 8)

515 mb! wow - i thought my piccies where big at 150mb! Whats the ram on your machine!

how exactly do you get a picture to be that big? I'd like to print a pretty big photo... maybe not poster size, but larger than normal.

Wow. What you call a 20X30 must be A LOT larger than what would be a 20X30 here, for we measure in cms, and if yours are inches, then it is about 3 times as big (which I can see!) And it has lost nothing of its brilliance and sharpness. Amazing! (Well the snapshot as I see it on my screen makes it look pretty sharp and clear!)

That pic was taken with a Canon 10D. The image was up-sized in Photoshop (using methods I'm not actually sure are correct :oops: ) And believe me it did lose detail on the way up, but it still looks decent. The 20x30 measurement is in inches. I'm not quite sure why this particular file got so big? I had about 4-5 different saved files while working on it and most are only about 130mb while this one cranked up to 515? I'm sure it's because of slightly different settings or something but that just seems excessive :shock: Anyway the final output was 6000x9000pixels@300dpi, 16bit per channel in CMYK, with an output size of 20x30", in standard .psd format.

I'm still wondering though if I would have better results starting with the file size that comes out of the camera and letting the printer do the up-size for me?

vonnagy said:
nice one congrats on the big print - looks good from here 8)

515 mb! wow - i thought my piccies where big at 150mb! Whats the ram on your machine!
Heh well, lets just say my laptop has one heck of a headache! :shock:

It's only like 128mb but the only computer I have running right now :oops: Locked it up more than a couple times. It really got mad at me :oops:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back