My first C&C request

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ryan Hall, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Ryan Hall

Ryan Hall TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thanks to all for any input, advice, criticisms! I took this shot last night in downtown Ruston. I had just finished learning about the shutter options on my D80 and took it out to try my hand at it. The camera was mounted on a tripod, but the wind was a bit gusty, so that, I imagine, is why there is slight blurring around the "Lewis" sign. I would like to know what you think about the white balance. Is it totally off? I wasn't sure which WB adjustment to use. Obviously it was night, and most of the light came from city street lights, so orange and yellow light. What is the correct WB setting that will correct that kind of light?

Here were the camera settings:

Shutter: 6s
    Aperature: F/22
    Focal length: 70mm
    ISO: 320
    White balance: cloudy

[​IMG]

2. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, it's off...but sometimes it's okay to have long exposure night shots have this kind of orangy results. If you try to correct for white balance the image can come out looking worse.
    Tungsten sometimes works well for street lights. Or you can get a white balance card and use that to correct white balance in PP. I use WhiBal.
    For long exposure night shots I use ISO 100 to keep noise levels down. You might want to open the aperture up a little too...try f/8 to f/16 next time.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed with Samanax on the settings. At first I didn't realise why you'd use such a long shutter for that but I see you were aiming to capture the moving cars' lights.