My first day with my new DSLR

SubOhmGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for sharing with us. Neatr that SnapBrisge helped you get the images from the camera to the web!

Enjoy the new cam

Nice

In Flickr if you select share at bottom, go to BBC code and select 1080 pixel size and copy link, paste it in your thread and it will auto show pictures without having to open them

Enjoy the new cam

Nice

In Flickr if you select share at bottom, go to BBC code and select 1080 pixel size and copy link, paste it in your thread and it will auto show pictures without having to open them
I have been trying to figure out how to do that on my iPad :/ no luck yet. Just not seeing any options like that.

Enjoy the new cam

Nice

I have been trying to figure out how to do that on my iPad :/ no luck yet. Just not seeing any options like that.

Ya, I can't do it with my android tablet or phone either so probably just a pc option. I read somewhere you can do it if you go on Flickr website instead of Flickr app on a device, but it sounds like a lot of work

Enjoy your new camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, no one has critiqued yet, maybe out of kindness - LOL. But those links to my images I posted in order of how I took. Towards the end I turned to manual mode and experimented. I don't want to rely on auto mode as a crutch. Anyways, the last couple of rose photos have a bit of a grainy background (noise) and I'm curious as to where I overdid it or under did it. I think regular users can see my camera settings on Flickr for each image... right??? If I were to take a newbie guess it's either my ISO or shutter speed that didn't let the right amount of light in?? Not enough??? I am actually grateful I won't be able to afford a new computer and photoshop until the holidays. I learned photoshop 11 years ago and use it for work daily, so I don't want to lean on that skill set either.

So, no one has critiqued yet, maybe out of kindness - LOL.
OK, I'll take a shot (so to speak). I won't comment on exposure tech stuff since some are in green-box auto, but I like them. I like that you chose a square crop for the pink and yellow flower, and love the front-on view of the puppy. Maybe work on getting the subject a little off-center unless you are filling the whole frame (which yo seem to be doing).

As far as getting off Auto, try something like aperture or shutter priority, where you chose one (or two, if ISO) and the camera picks the other. Maybe try shooting one subject with each aperture and note what speed the camera picks (use manual ISO and set it to something like 200 or 400). Then compare the shots to each other.

So, no one has critiqued yet, maybe out of kindness - LOL.
OK, I'll take a shot (so to speak). I won't comment on exposure tech stuff since some are in green-box auto, but I like them. I like that you chose a square crop for the pink and yellow flower, and love the front-on view of the puppy. Maybe work on getting the subject a little off-center unless you are filling the whole frame (which yo seem to be doing).

As far as getting off Auto, try something like aperture or shutter priority, where you chose one (or two, if ISO) and the camera picks the other. Maybe try shooting one subject with each aperture and note what speed the camera picks (use manual ISO and set it to something like 200 or 400). Then compare the shots to each other.

Thank you!!! These are all really good ideas. I will try that over the next couple days as I will be off work. Maybe Aperture mode is a good place to go back to for a little bit. I think my brain has a much better grasp on shutter speed so I should start where I am weak. I have definitely been considering a mentor but don't entirely know how to go about it. May be better to find one sooner than later so I don't learn wrong or develop bad habits that I have to correct later on.

A couple exercises for aperture study is to place three objects, like bottles or cans, in a row, about 18" to 2' apart. Place the camera at one end. You may need to stagger the items a bit so you can clearly see all of them in the viewfinder.

Now focus on the one in the middle. Take three shots - largest aperture, middle aperture and smallest aperture (remember that largest aperture is smallest number). This will give a feel for Depth of Field.

A variation is to shoot down a ruler/yard stick. Again, focus towards the middle.

ahhhhh ... a puppy. There is a guy on here who has become quite proficient with in-camera processing and rarely uses a computer for post processing. I'm beginning to think that mastering in-camera processing is extremely valuable and a good-way-to-go ... but then I think that manipulation is manipulation and that it doesn't matter if it happens in-camera or in-computer. In summary, don't worry about not processing on a computer. I think there is a great deal of good and of learning via in-camera.

(Of course you can only do so much in-camera, but still, mastering in-camera processing is a valuable tool to wield.)

Most reactions

Back