My first DSLR and questions

cutestguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all

I got my first DSLR - Nikon D3000 10MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens. Now, i've used a Canon Rebel previously, which is not mine anyway, but havent explored much. Now, I have a few questions about my Nikon.

1. What is this command dial ?
2. Keeping Auto-ISO is good or bad ?
3. What is AE-L/AF-L protect button ?
4. By changing the lens mode to M from A, and then changing the mode to Auto on the camera using mode dial, what is the net result ?
5. When I put the lens to M and tried to focus the object by zooming manually, even though I felt the object through viewfinder is good, the image captured was blurred. Why is this ?

I have many more questions since I am very new to DSLR. Please let me know if some one has the patience and time to answer all my questions...;)

The manuel is a wonderful thing...
Thanks a lot and I too prefer manual.

I know Photoshop and it helps a lot.

I hope someone would answer the questions ;)

Who is this "Manuel" you speak of?

To the OP:

Live Free is right, read your manual. Cover to cover.

The manual will answer this.

It depends. For learning the camera and photography, leave it on auto, but remember what it's using for each exposure so you have an idea for future shots.

The manual will explain this.

4. By changing the lens mode to M from A, and then changing the mode to Auto on the camera using mode dial, what is the net result ?
I'll assume the "M" on the Nikon means fully manual (you pick shutter speed, ISO, aperture), the "A" means aperture priority (often Av on most cameras, you pick the aperture and the camera picks shutter speed and ISO if you set it to auto-ISO), and "Auto" is fully auto (makes the camera a point-and-shoot).

5. When I put the lens to M and tried to focus the object by zooming manually, even though I felt the object through viewfinder is good, the image captured was blurred. Why is this ?
Could be a number of reasons, 1) the shutter speed was too slow to "stop" the motion of the subject, 2) your hands are shaking, 3) your eyes aren't as good as you thought. Without seeing the image, we can't help you.

Now, having said that, I'd also suggest you purchase a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, read it along with your manual, and THEN come back and ask questions.

Good luck to you! :D

Last edited:

To the OP:

Live Free is right, read your manual. Cover to cover.

The manual will answer this.

It depends. For learning the camera and photography, leave it on auto, but remember what it's using for each exposure so you have an idea for future shots.

The manual will explain this.

I'll assume the "M" on the Nikon means fully manual (you pick shutter speed, ISO, aperture), the "A" means aperture priority (often Av on most cameras, you pick the aperture and the camera picks shutter speed and ISO if you set it to auto-ISO), and "Auto" is fully auto (makes the camera a point-and-shoot).

Could be a number of reasons, 1) the shutter speed was too slow to "stop" the motion of the subject, 2) your hands are shaking, 3) your eyes aren't as good as you thought. Without seeing the image, we can't help you.

Now, having said that, I'd also suggest you purchase a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, read it along with your manual, and THEN come back and ask questions.

Good luck to you! :D
Wow...thanks a lot McJ. From the User Manual, I couldnt find much details about Command Dial, just that it is used in Flash mode, but is not talking specifically about it. But I goggled and found that: Pressing Exposure compensation/Aperture button in conjunction with spinning the Command dial allows you to modify the exposure that is set by the D3000’s light meter when set to P, S, or A mode. Turning the Command dial to the right decreases exposure while turning the dial to the left increases the exposure. This button also doubles as the Aperture button when the camerais set to Manual exposure mode. Pressing the button while rotating theCommand dial allows you to adjust your lens aperture. Additionally, when press-ing this button in conjunction with the Flash mode, you can adjust your FlashExposure Compensation by rotating the Command dial.

And Live Free was talking about Manual Mode and not User Manual..;)

And about the blur - I assume it was something related to the Focus/Aperture and not coz of my hands shaking...:lol: since I tried tripod and same results. And as you suggested, I need to check my eyes...:lol:.

And will definitely get a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson as you suggested.

Thanking you once again and will post more questions after that.

Folks

Nikon D3000 Digital Field Guide by: J. Dennis Thomas is a very helpful read !

Yo cutestguy......

To the OP:

Live Free is right, read your manual. Cover to cover. With your new camera in hand, and read it through a couple of time. Oh, the complete users manual is on the white disc I am told.

The manual will answer this. +1 RTFM

It depends. For learning the camera and photography, leave it on auto, but remember what it's using for each exposure so you have an idea for future shots. +1 It depends.

The manual will explain this. +2 RTFM, and all the informatiojn for this button is in a couple of different manual sections.

This puts the lens in manual focus and has nothing to do with the shooting mode you select with the mode dial on the top of the camera.

Could be a number of reasons, 1) the shutter speed was too slow to "stop" the motion of the subject, 2) your hands are shaking, 3) your eyes aren't as good as you thought. Without seeing the image, we can't help you. Ask yourself how much fine detail you can see in the viewfinder, to use for evaluating the sharpness of focus. Also the viewfinder has dipoter adjustment that is described, in of all places, the cameras users manual.
:D :thumbup:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...y/204127-8-things-you-should-do-but-dont.html

Yo cutestguy......

To the OP:

Live Free is right, read your manual. Cover to cover. With your new camera in hand, and read it through a couple of time. Oh, the complete users manual is on the white disc I am told.

The manual will answer this. +1 RTFM

It depends. For learning the camera and photography, leave it on auto, but remember what it's using for each exposure so you have an idea for future shots. +1 It depends.

The manual will explain this. +2 RTFM, and all the informatiojn for this button is in a couple of different manual sections.

This puts the lens in manual focus and has nothing to do with the shooting mode you select with the mode dial on the top of the camera.

Could be a number of reasons, 1) the shutter speed was too slow to "stop" the motion of the subject, 2) your hands are shaking, 3) your eyes aren't as good as you thought. Without seeing the image, we can't help you. Ask yourself how much fine detail you can see in the viewfinder, to use for evaluating the sharpness of focus. Also the viewfinder has dipoter adjustment that is described, in of all places, the cameras users manual.
:D :thumbup:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...y/204127-8-things-you-should-do-but-dont.html
Thanks a lot for this wonderful info and I need to look at the Manual in the disc. Meanwhile i got another guide for Nikon D3000 which is much more elaborate and hope it helps too. Thank you once again.

looks like live free was talking about the user manual that came with the camera. most of the questions you have are answered in the manual. If not, the best way to figure it out is to play with the dials and such and actually see what it does.

understanding exposure is deff a good buy

looks like live free was talking about the user manual that came with the camera. most of the questions you have are answered in the manual. If not, the best way to figure it out is to play with the dials and such and actually see what it does.

understanding exposure is deff a good buy
Hi Tyler, in fact the one paper-back manual which came along with the piece was not that good, but there seems another one on CD which i need to check. Also, i got a better one, Nikon D3000 Digital Field Guide by: J. Dennis Thomas which is even better.

And yes, Understanding Exposure i got yesterday and couple of other books too by Bryan Peterson. So i think i will workout a plan this weekend....:lol:

Thank you.

I often find the manual (book) confusing. You Tube is loaded with answers and tutorials that I find helpful. Try it. Tom Beard

I often find the manual (book) confusing. You Tube is loaded with answers and tutorials that I find helpful. Try it. Tom Beard
Thank You...I didnt know it...and of course, something with a video is always better than just text ;). Will check it out !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back