My first DSLR setup

theusher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm making the jump from my Canon S3 IS, to a DSLR. I was hoping someone could comment on my proposed setup. Now that I think more about it, I think the Sigma would lack dof to take landscape photos. Any recommendations for a cheaper decent lens I could get to take landscape photos? My budget is nearly maxed out with the above stuff, i just want to get something that will stand up for a few years forward. I don't really want to give up the Sigma, as I've read a lot of great reviews saying it's a good all around lens. Any and all comments are welcomed.

Nikon D80 body only ($900ish)
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 ($400)
SB600 Flash ($200)

Welcome to the forum.

This sentence does not make sense to me...maybe you are confused.
I think the Sigma would lack dof to take landscape photos
Just like most other lenses...I'm sure that lens can stop down to at least F22...which would give you an almost unlimited DOF for landscape shots.

Where it says F2.8-4.5....that is the range of the maximum aperture...not the total range of the aperture. It means that the maximum aperture at 17mm if F2.8...and the maximum aperture at 70mm is F4.5...but at any focal length, you can use a smaller aperture to get more DOF.

Your proposed set up looks good to me. I have also heard good things about that lens. The only thing I don't like, is that the max aperture is smaller at the long end of the zoom. I would prefer the 18-50 F2.8, which has a maximum aperture of F2.8 across the whole range.

Thank you! I was very confused. I thought that was the whole range, and now I feel rather stupid. :blushing: :lol:

Again thanks for the advice, and I welcome any more opinions.

I have recently brought the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 lens. The construction is very solid (massive improvement on the Nikon 18-55 kit lens I was using). Image quality seems good but I haven't had chance to test it thoroughly yet.

As for the camera I have a Nikon D50 and love it to bits I can only imagine the D80 is even better.

I ordered the lens and body last night, finally saw it back in stock at B&H, looking forward to getting it. :)

Probably a bit late now but...
I do a fair bit of landscape and have found that getting there is a consideration. The Nikon is a fine camera and will give really good results, The choice of a Sigma lens should also serve you well. I was going to recommend the Canon 400D. as it is a very light camera to carry the 10 miles or so that is required to reach those great views. Also it is a fabulous little camera (I used to use a Mamiya C330, or a Fuji 645) and much easier to use than its' predecessors. Results are as good up to A4 . and not much worse above that..

Probably a bit late now but...
I do a fair bit of landscape and have found that getting there is a consideration. The Nikon is a fine camera and will give really good results, The choice of a Sigma lens should also serve you well. I was going to recommend the Canon 400D. as it is a very light camera to carry the 10 miles or so that is required to reach those great views. Also it is a fabulous little camera (I used to use a Mamiya C330, or a Fuji 645) and much easier to use than its' predecessors. Results are as good up to A4 . and not much worse above that..

Well, I live in a pretty boring place so there are no 10 mile walks to amazing views. And unfortunately I doubt I could do a 10 mile walk, camera or not. :lol: I just wanted to know if that lens could do landscape as well. Fortunately it seems it will work. Thanks for the reply though, much appreciated.

Most reactions

Back