My first engagement session!

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by hurd300403, Feb 4, 2010.

1. hurd300403

hurd300403 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all,
    So, I'm a working professional. I shoot full time in DC but it's strictly press conferences and photojournalism type stuff. I've never done any weddings or engagement/couples type shots. BUT that all changed last weekend when some friends of mine asked me to take some photos for them. I'm fairly happy with the results and learned a lot from the experience, but I figured this is a great place to get an outside perspective.

i've already determined I need to brush up on some more creative poses, but I'm looking for any other (constructive) feedback you all may have to offer!

thanks!

Feb 1st 2010 Elizabeth and Tony - Sam Hurd Photography

2. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    People don't like to click links. Post a couple of pics if you want detailed C&C.

3. Provo

Provo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I went on and clicked on the site link the photos are good but that is my opinion.
    Much better then other's I have seen.
    Fav pictures 34 & 35

4. burnws6

burnws6 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ditto...I'm lazy.

5. C.Lloyd

C.Lloyd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who's Marc Mawidge? (Scrabble pic) I hope that name means something to the couple, otherwise, it's a pretty useles shot.

Snuggies? Both of them? Really?!!? You put both of them in Snuggies?? ;)

Piano shot of her hands (#9) is classy. The other piano pic (#4) with his over-the-top expression, eh... not so much.

#10 & 11 I like the facial expressions, they don't look forced.... nice.

overall, I like most of them.

6. hurd300403

hurd300403 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    not going to deal with posting the pictures directly here unless it's required by the admin. lazy people need not reply

the snuggies were their idea! and the scrabble words are also related to them.

glad you all like most of them!

7. LOL, agreed, how hard can it be to click one link, it's the same amount of work as going to another thread here.

Anyway, they're nice, they will love them. I don't mean that as damning it with faint praise. Overall they're good. Technically I tend to process my images a little darker, and by default I shoot at least -1/3 EV, I get better tones that way.

8. hurd300403

hurd300403 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

cool...thanks! i tend to underexpose as well, but i'm trying to stay away from too much processing. thanks for taking a look!

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Really worth clicking on the link people! You have some VERY fun and creative poses and concepts in that set. I'm disturbed by the cropping off of the feet in the shot where they are standing in front of a house for sale, but on balance, there are so many other fun, lively poses that that's just one thing. An issue I do have more of a problem with is the way on some of the shots where the eye catchlights are in three eyes and not the fourth eye...that's always bugged me.

Overall though, I am sure they will enjoy these photos. The light-painting one with the heart was cute, and the two of them in the backup camera mounted on the dash with its "Check surroundings for safety" warning--that was just hilarious! I liked the loose, creative feel of the set. And "mawidge" in Scrabble letters--"pwice-wiss", as Elmer Fudd would say...

10. CoRNDoG R6

CoRNDoG R6 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That shot of them through the rear camera was really creative! Nice job! :thumbup:

11. mom2eight

mom2eight TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love no. 26, its the one where she is leaning up against the tree and he is looking into her eyes. They both look really in love in that picture and happy to be together. It sure doesn't look like you need any help with creativity. The rear camera picture is great!

12. mom2eight

mom2eight TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had a look at your smug mug! Nick Jonas! My 13 year old would die. She was jealous of all those girls getting to meet him. Just thought it was very cool since she is completely obsessed with the Jonas Brothers. Looks like you have a very fun job!