My first ever attempts at "Artistic" photography

Brokepilot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to photography and just purchased/ received a Nikon D80 for Christmas. These are my first attempt at creating anything other than a picture of family or friends. Please let me know what you think and give me any pointers that you may have. At this point all I know how to do is turn the camera on and point and shoot, but I am planning on taking classes in January and have been reading about technique and technical aspects. Thanks in advance for the input.

I took a few minutes at lunch to walk out behind our office and shoot some pictures of an old train and box car that have been out there for years. I also found an old barrell full of junk parts that was sitting, rusting in the rain. Like I said, I am new to this, but I want to learn more and any advice is greatly appreciated. I have a thick skin, so please don't hold back.

BoxCarDoor.jpg

JunkintheRain.jpg

TrainStep2.jpg

JunkinBarrell2.jpg

OK, couldn't resist. Here is one of my dog. I thought it looked kind of funny when I turned it into B&W.

AngieBW.jpg

Thanks. That seems to be the opinion of most of my friends. My photographer friend liked #3 the best.

You didn't like my dog? :biggrin: That's OK she likes everyone no matter how they feel about her.

Brokepilot said:
Thanks. That seems to be the opinion of most of my friends. My photographer friend liked #3 the best.

You didn't like my dog? :biggrin: That's OK she likes everyone no matter how they feel about her.
It would be a much more endearing photograph if the eyes were in proper focus. Unless, of course, she has a pink nose or something... but we can't tell that in black and white, now can we? ;)

I like number three, actually. Your depth of focus is spot on.

The third pic is of the step on the rear of the boxcar. I thought it kind of looked cool with the contrasts in color and texture.

Thanks for the input. I will hopefully be posting more soon. I was going to go out today, but it has been raining all day and I am busy with family stuff.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I like all three. You have a good sense for color and composition, keep at it. Looks like you got yourself a new hobby.

...and as far as portraits go (canine or other) - the eyes ought be in focus. Ultimately it is where we connect with another soul.

I really like the dog, but then again I'm a dog lover, and like anything with a dog in it. But it's a shame that the eyes are out of focus.

I think the composition and everything is good, you have a artistic eye.

I would dial down the brightness/exposure a little and add some contrast.

Then they will pop !!!!

You certainly have an eye for detail, and that's always a good thing to have.

Also, when you shoot try some unusual angles and see what you can get.

MikeDePinto said:
Picture 1 and the dog are the ones i like the most

If you beguin that quite encouraging :thumbup:.
You have your eyes open that good and helpfull for photography ;), keep your hear open too and you wll make amazing improvment in your shots.

1: The light is too blinding
2: I do not fin any part of the picture on focus . Next time try to select oneof these metallic tools zoom and make the focus on it, because such overview it not very pleasant , according to me.
3: On this one you did it well :thumbup:. You can maybe try to improve composition using more geometry of this perforated plate. Take several shot with deifferent angle is the best way to make your own idea about it
last one: Make the focus on the dog eyes ;)

Bye

Matthieu

Brokepilot said:
I am new to photography and just purchased/ received a Nikon D80 for Christmas.

Hi broke, myself new too. #1 is my fav, coz of the composition...still looks like something missing...took ur pic as an exercise for myself, since noob in post-processing...this is what i came up with....c if ya can like...

train.jpg

Wow, I appreciate all of the comments and help.

As for the dog, I originally posted it as a joke and I guess I didn't realize it would get so many comments. I did learn a lot from it though and will work on keeping my psycho dogs eyes in focus. It was actually a quick unplanned shot. I was laying on the floor taking pics of my kids and the dog came over to see what I was doing.

I definately have found a new hobby. I am really enjoying taking pictures. I am finding that I am veiwing everything around me as a potential picture. I have also noticed that while I am reading magazines and looking at books I am looking at the photos in a different way. I am more analyzing how they are put together and the angles and lighting.

Thanks again for the help.

Brokepilot said:

I am finding that I am veiwing everything around me as a potential picture.
I have also noticed that while I am reading magazines and looking at books I am looking at the photos in a different way. I am more analyzing how they are put together and the angles and lighting.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So funny it is exactly what happened to me when I started also last year.
I guess you catched the photography virus, and up to now there are no treatment...:cheers:
Matthieu

Most reactions

New Topics

Back