My First Ever Gray Market Purchase...

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just clicked on the B&H link near the top of the right side of this page (gotta spread some love to TPF) and ordered a Nikon TC-17E teleconverter for my new 70-200 VR.

This is the first time I have ever ordered Gray Market, or even seriously considered it... the TC was $70 cheaper ($350 as opposed to $420), and it carries a 1 year B&H warranty... as opposed to Nikon USA's one year warranty on the USA version.

The other factor involved is that it was a teleconverter to start with, so not a bunch of moving parts to break.

Same warranty period from a reputable company and I save about 17 percent?

Sounded OK to me.

Now I will have a new toy to play with this weekend!

I actually found nothing wrong with going grey if you save a few bucks. My 70-200 f/2.8 L IS is a grey market cause i saved like $150. Was very worried about since it was my biggest purchase yet. Actually had issues with it, zoom ring got tight at the wide end. Sent it in to B&H and they replaced it with a new one. Couldn't be happier. Granted I had to pay $30 to send it back, still saved $120 and they over-nighted the replacement at no charge. That's service.:thumbup:

Uhhh...Sabbath, I ordered the same just recently. I got the 1.7 because the 1.4 grey market was out of stock. I got it as a companion to the Nikkor 300 f/4 on the same order. Unfortunately, I tried to "play" with it a two days before my week long vacation. I couldn't get the front cap to come off. Seriously. The day before I left, I went to a local camera shop to see if they can "fix it". No - (Sorry JIP, it was a Ritz shop). No good results from these wan.. people.

Okay, went on vacation, came back, called B&H. No prob Bob. They quickly e-mailed me a UPS shipping label to send back. I took a few days to package it up, but two days later I received an e-mail that package was received, the next day it's being processed. I expect to have it tomorrow. These guys are great.

Can't wait to actually use it. Felt like a nice piece of gear. (Ought to for the price.)

Looking forward to reading your comments on the TC-17/70-200VR combo :D.

Picked up a TC17 new and a TC20 used to go with my 70-200VR. In limited experience I've found both to work fine (for my standards). Been shooting kids' soccer and some wildlife. Have some excellent shots from the Bronx Zoo with the TC17 - and even managed a few of birds in flight by LI Sound.

The 2x is a bit softer but considering the cost of a 400 lens compared to the cost of a used 2x converter..... I can live with it.

Using a monopod with either converter is a good idea. Even with the VR, you can use more stability with the longer reaches.

My 50mm is a grey too, nothing wrong with it. My 18-70 was a grey also but in this case it shouldn't have been so the poop hit the fan when I went to get it fixed under warrenty. In the end the store I originally purchased it from replaced the lens for me and took it up with Nikon themselves.

That was my first grey market toy as well (50mm Nikkor prime). It was an easy 30-40% discount for what I consider to be the exact same lens anyways.

There are times when its good, and times to really think it over... such as when you are buying new and there is a guarantee involved and if you want it or not.

Well, I might have considered getting my 50mm f/1.8 gray, except that I was given a $100 gift card from J&R, so basically my fifty cost me nine bux plus shipping for the Nikon USA version. Kind of hard to beat that.

There are times when its good, and times to really think it over... such as when you are buying new and there is a guarantee involved and if you want it or not.

Actually some stores offer their own warrenty on grey items. I was going to drop the $800 on the 80-200 f/2.8 import yesterday but I couldn't find my wallet and thus no credit card.

Sabbath, my TC17 exchange came in today. I just had to fire off a couple to check it out. I set up the tripod quick like and shot out the back door. I was well impressed with the increase in focal length. Both set at f/22 and metered to the "correct" position.

At 300mm
300mm.jpg

With the converter - equivalent 510mm
510mm.jpg

I got mine too... I am going to reshoot my tests tomorrow since I was apparently a moron when I shot them.

Here are the most basic of tests (I didn't shoot any with just the lens, without the TC)

11.jpg

(above) 120mm (shortest range on the 70-200) ISO 100 wide open at f/4.8

12.jpg

(above) 340mm (longest range on the 70-200) ISO 100 wide open at f/4.8

13.jpg

(above) 120mm (shortest range on the 70-200) ISO 400 f/8

14.jpg

(above) 340mm (longest range on the 70-200) ISO 400 at f/11

21.jpg

(above) Neighbor's porch 120mm (shortest distance) wide open f/4.8 ISO 100

22.jpg

(above) 100 percent crop of previous picture to test sharpness@wide open.

All pictures shot with a D80, shooting JPEG Large Basic Compression (highest level of compression).

All shots are handheld.

Both combo's look great. The images are crisp and clean, with good contrast and good color. The posted images using the TC's are as good as the vast majority of non-extended captures. No real surprise though. The Nikkor TC line has always been very good with few complaints over the years. The images with the 70-200 zoom really show how good the zoom is, as sharp and most primes. But we Nikon-a-holics knew that. :) 40 million lenses is a lot of practice.

Wow, I would have gone grey market at that price also...whenever I buy something it seems like there's only a 10 dollar difference in the two which isn't worth it for me :grumpy:

Most reactions

Back