My First Exihibition

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So yep, as the thread title reads. I just had my first Exhibition.

So no, it wasn't in some fancy pants art gallery, it was in a small local mall, but it was still an exhibition.

Sales wise it was pretty much what I expected, bearing in mind you are selling to a public that was not in the market for art in the first place.

However the cost to rent the space was covered, along with about half the cost of the stock, the rest will sell through eventually

What made it less frightening (and it is seriously, this is the real world, real people with real opinions, real money, etc) was that when we were doing a dummy setup on Friday night, people were looking and indicating with some very positive feedback.

So I have just had 2 days back in "retail" and I have to say I was absolutely blown away with the feedback I was getting from the locals.

Sure I expected, comments like "I like that" etc etc, but to have something I created be called "beautiful, lovely, amazing, I really like that" over and over again was a turning point in my own mind. People walking past that were on a mission to go to the supermarket, looked, stopped dead, walked over and looked at each and everyone of my works, time and time again. Wow.

Yes I will now admit it, I am quite good at what I do. There, I actually said it.

I must now also admit I am also a perfectionist, so nothing is ever good enough, no matter how many times I am told it is, see the problem? But as a photographer maybe that is a good thing, it makes you keep aiming higher and higher, constantly fine tuning your craft, to aid you in getting that impossible goal, the perfect shot. Side effect: you are sure to get some keepers along the way.

I have also potentially been offered space at our local airport to hold an exhibition for about a month, "potentially" because the airport manager has to clear it with the company that holds the contract for most of the airports in New Zealand and the east coast of Australia.

What I have learnt.

The exhibition was a success.

The public really like my work.

The general public actually back that up by buying it (that is a huge deal).

I am good at what I do.

I am not only a photographer, but I am also an artist (I hadnt really considered this).

I love what I do and how it can have an effect on others.

As a photographer you need to promote yourself at least as much as you need to promote your work. I think?

I need to put more of my idea's into action, I need to "just do it" and stop procrastinating.

My wife is freaking awesome, but I knew that already :p

I owe this forum and it's members a huge debt of thanks.

The product I displayed were all framed stretched light canvas. Each had its own price ticket complete with the Name of the print, the size the price and alternate sizes and prices, each one also had its own business card, 6x4 photo folded in half, the image customer is interested in on one side and my details on reverse, phone number, what else I do, website addy etc.

I also had a 19" widescreen LCD playing a slideshow of all the works displayed plus some other stuff I considered my best.

Alot of work to complete in 2 weeks, but well worth it. Especially considering my wife and I earnt about $1.40 each per hour!! Hahaha.

Onwards and upwards.

No C&C required for the following shot please, it is just to give you an idea of what my setup looked like.

exhibitiond.jpg

Anyone else had an exhibition, what did you learn, how did it go?

Second tier up, just left of center; is that lava or a cityscape at night?

Congrats on your successful exhibition.

grats. never had an exhibit, ive taken to selling my work on the street. not sure how legal that is :greenpbl:

Congratulations on a successful exhibition. Looking at some of your shots in the picture there, I can see why it went well.

Congratulations! Looking at your setup, I'm not surprised there were plenty of people stopping & complimenting your shots. You seem to have a really nice, simply layout; it's easy on the eye, but there's lots to look at. There are some really stunning photographs, too, lovely locations, lovely colours, lovely composition, lovely, well, everything.

Damn, what I'd give to take shots like those ;). Well, I hope you've decided to continue with it! Seems that, given a bit of persistence, you could make a few bob from those shots.

Very nice setup! Congratulations! I bet it was very exciting to pull this off.

I like the fact that you offered canvas prints. However, I'm wondering how the masses would react to "good old framed posters".

Wouldn't there be also a bigger profit margin in printing on paper with a frame rather than only offering canvas?

Maybe someone has the answer. ;)

Well done.

Congrats champ, well deserved!

Thanks Noonz

Second tier up, just left of center; is that lava or a cityscape at night?

Congrats on your successful exhibition.

Oh man I wish it was lava, but no it is this shot.

4626560628_70cec49242_b.jpg

grats. never had an exhibit, ive taken to selling my work on the street. not sure how legal that is :greenpbl:

I could and might just do that here, lots of tourists over summer, just need to apply for a hawkers license from the local council, overheads much lower, but then I am at the mercy of the weather.

Congratulations! Looking at your setup, I'm not surprised there were plenty of people stopping & complimenting your shots. You seem to have a really nice, simply layout; it's easy on the eye, but there's lots to look at. There are some really stunning photographs, too, lovely locations, lovely colours, lovely composition, lovely, well, everything.

Damn, what I'd give to take shots like those ;). Well, I hope you've decided to continue with it! Seems that, given a bit of persistence, you could make a few bob from those shots.

Thanks Tamiyaguy, I am making a few hundred a month with the online sales and also through the one gallery I have 6 works with at present, all of that is going back into building up the business and will eventually buy some better glass. I decided to concentrate on using one gallery at present, this is all new to me, so I want to get my business model proven and working before I expand to other galleries, however I am not sure if galleries are the way to go because of the massive commissions they take, 30-45% of total sale price, which means for me to get anything worthwhile back the prices have to be much higher!!!

All of those prints you can on the tables were priced at $100 NZ, pretty much making it affordable to anyone who really liked it. Affordable Local Art is the goal.

Very nice setup! Congratulations! I bet it was very exciting to pull this off.

I like the fact that you offered canvas prints. However, I'm wondering how the masses would react to "good old framed posters".

Wouldn't there be also a bigger profit margin in printing on paper with a frame rather than only offering canvas?

Maybe someone has the answer. ;)

Well done.

I had looked into traditional photographic prints, but it is the cost of having them framed properly, you get less "bang" for your buck. The canvases I can order online and have shipped directly to my end customer (3 working days from order to delivery) with very little work from me, and they do look really good. Framing is also quite a personal choice I feel, however I did offer photographic prints as well.

thanks.

Congratulations, very encouraging :thumbup:

That was neat Rob. Congratulations. You miniscule investment (of which some are reluctant given that they don't know the gains you can make out of it ['making hundreds of bucks') turned out to be successful.

good stuff! i wish i had the money to frame all my best shots and show them somewhere!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back