My first family photo shoot

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by lalalala<3life, Dec 17, 2009.

1. lalalala<3life

lalalala<3life TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is the Catricola family. Their little girls are 1 year and 3 weeks the baby is the same baby that I took the newborn photos of. The 1 year old was really hard to photograph cause she was moving all the time so some of her got motion blur. C&C please! Hope you all like them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jankster

Jankster TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    were you using a tripod for these? most seem a little soft...the composition in 3 bugs me a little. the open space to the right of the wife should be cropped to make it seem more equal. 5 could be cropped a little tighter imo as well. but keep it up!!

3. Inst!nct

Inst!nct TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i feel like you just didnt have enough light..

4. lalalala<3life

lalalala<3life TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah I agree with the crop sugestions. And with the lighting too. I dont do good with indoore light. I should probably stick with natural light, but it was raining that day and I was forced to do it inside =(

5. PhotoVerve

PhotoVerve TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with them being soft overall. What were you using for a lighting set-up (if any)? Also, what were your settings for these shots?

6. Nikkor

Nikkor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Too soft, as said before. Also, you can see the crease and folds in the backdrop, an easy fix in Photoshop.

Definetely more light.

7. Nikkor

Nikkor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also, picture #5 doesn't seem to fit. As its obviously not the mother in the other shots.

8. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    WB?

9. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed, the white balance seems quite off. And the images in particular seem to be rather soft.

Also, it might be nice if they weren't sitting on the floor for all of them. I don't know how tall the background sheet thing was, but if they could be on a chair or standing up that might be nice.

10. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your images are listed as not ok to edit, but if you would like I would be happy to do a quick edit to show a somewhat fixed version of one of these.

11. iolair

iolair No longer a newbie, moving up!

They all look a bit yellow/orange to me... I'm guessing you shot under regular indoor lighting. Learn how to set your white balance using grey card (or even white paper) before you begin a set - and/or shoot in RAW and correct afterwards.

You took these at 1/20 or 1/15 s... that's too slow for children. Use (off-camera - modified or bounced) flash if you have it. If not, get some stronger lights in there and/or bump up your ISO to 1600. Any extra noise is relatively easy to deal with. You could also have opened up the aperture a little from 4.5 - what's the limit on the lens you were using? A wider aperture would have got more light in helping you to take faster shots, as well as helping a little to blur out imperfections in the background.

You shot these in the "Action" program mode on your camera. Are you comfortable with the A, S and M modes?

You have the guy facing you square on quite a bit, I think a 45 degree angle would be a better pose for him. I like the pose/composition on 6 though. You did a good job in getting them to wear plain, coordinated clothes.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009