My first few attempts, C&C please!

kreuzberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've just recently got into photography and I thought I'd just post a few of my pics to see what you guys think, and if you've got any tips

All of them are unedited, apart from the last one which I cropped a little so any post processing suggestions are also welcome!

Last edited:
I like 5 & 6 but mostly 6. Do you think the little think on the top right side is a bird? Looks like it would be good for a travel advertisement. Try numbering your pictures next time around. It makes it a bit easier to reference a comment :).

i really like the 1 and 2 i think 2 would look a little better had you not put the horizon in the middle of the frame though.

Thanks for the feedback. Just numbered them now, have to remember that for next time.

The thing is the top right of 6 is actually a kite, you can just make out the guy flying it (the little red speck where the sea and sand meet). Unfortunatly I didnt have a zoom lens with me at the time so your just going to have to take my word for it :lol:

I really like #5, the way the water is so calm with the reflection and then it just falls over the rocks...very nice. I also like 6, kind of looks surreal the way the colors are. good job

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

i really like the 1 and 2 i think 2 would look a little better had you not put the horizon in the middle of the frame though.

Yeah I've discovered that that was a bit of a beginners mistake, since then I've learned about the "thirds" rule so my composition is a little better (I think!).

I just took another film in today to be processed and I'll post the results next week.

I love 1,5, and 6 I think they are very nicely done. Great job! I dont think they look like noob shots all! :thumbup:

I wish people would post what they don't like about pictures instead of what they do like... would make CC that much more valuable to the poster. ;)

I like Number 1 -- The posts leading from left to right is really neat....lighting and coloring seem to be a little dull, but hey, who cares, right?

Number 2 would have been better had the sun been in focus and towards the upper two-thirds of the photo....

You must have a nice camera....and you sure know what to take photos of...I'm proud of you, keep up the great work....you're already better than me...just ask anyone here

I wish people would post what they don't like about pictures instead of what they do like... would make CC that much more valuable to the poster. ;)

Yes please be as critical as you want, like I said I want to improve my technique. Have you got any pointers bigtwinky?

I like Number 1 -- The posts leading from left to right is really neat....lighting and coloring seem to be a little dull, but hey, who cares, right?

Number 2 would have been better had the sun been in focus and towards the upper two-thirds of the photo....

You must have a nice camera....and you sure know what to take photos of...I'm proud of you, keep up the great work....you're already better than me...just ask anyone here

The weird thing was, No.1 and 2 were taken literally a minute apart and from roughly the same place so I was a bit surprised that the colours were so different. Have I underexposed the 1st one slightly, or is it because i changed lenses and apertures?

The camera I use is just an old Fujica ST605, I don't think its anything that special

#1 - There are some nice compositional elements in this shot (diagonal lines, repeating lines) but the image on a whole is not working for me. The horizon isn't straight (tilting to the left and splitting the image in half), I don't care for the desaturated look, so much is happening in the bottom half of the image and the top half has almost nothing, the horizontal lines of the waves is clashing with the vertical lines of the posts, the posts ending short of the right edge bothers me a bit.

#2 - I don't care for this image too much. Horizon is tilting to the left and is almost splitting the image in half. Almost nothing in the top half of the image. The two posts seem very random...just two dark objects on either side of the sunset. Image seems too desaturated.

#3 - The horizon is tilting to the left and splits the image in half. The barbed wire in the upper left is really distracting. The texture of the canon (or whatever this is) is interesting but I wish the end of the canon was above the horizon line. Pale desaturated colors are uninteresting.

#4 - Nice DOF and colors. The bird is nice and clear. The colors could pop a little more. The white spots in the right back are distracting. Wish the bird was offset to the right a bit more.

#5 - Nice reflection shot...wish this was in the horizontal orientation. The branches on the right are distracting. Really don't care for the portrait orientation of this image.

#6 - This image is harder to do C&C for because it's so small. It's split in two horizontally with a lot of boring nothing on the lower right. Maybe the larger image shows the textures in the sand better. The colors are nice. Attempt at a panoramic shot?

#1 - There are some nice compositional elements in this shot (diagonal lines, repeating lines) but the image on a whole is not working for me. The horizon isn't straight (tilting to the left and splitting the image in half), I don't care for the desaturated look, so much is happening in the bottom half of the image and the top half has almost nothing, the horizontal lines of the waves is clashing with the vertical lines of the posts, the posts ending short of the right edge bothers me a bit.

#2 - I don't care for this image too much. Horizon is tilting to the left and is almost splitting the image in half. Almost nothing in the top half of the image. The two posts seem very random...just two dark objects on either side of the sunset. Image seems too desaturated.

#3 - The horizon is tilting to the left and splits the image in half. The barbed wire in the upper left is really distracting. The texture of the canon (or whatever this is) is interesting but I wish the end of the canon was above the horizon line. Pale desaturated colors are uninteresting.

#4 - Nice DOF and colors. The bird is nice and clear. The colors could pop a little more. The white spots in the right back are distracting. Wish the bird was offset to the right a bit more.

#5 - Nice reflection shot...wish this was in the horizontal orientation. The branches on the right are distracting. Really don't care for the portrait orientation of this image.

#6 - This image is harder to do C&C for because it's so small. It's split in two horizontally with a lot of boring nothing on the lower right. Maybe the larger image shows the textures in the sand better. The colors are nice. Attempt at a panoramic shot?

Thanks for the criticism, its got me thinking how I can improve for next time. I think I also need to learn how to hold the camera straight!:lol:

For picture 2, what do you mean by desaturated? Would it be possible for someone to edit the image to show what you mean?

I've also updated my first post so the pictures should be clickable to get a bigger size.

I like #1 the best. #5 is good too. The only one I don't like is #4 the top corner is very distracting.

Hey couple tips here.
I redid two of theses to maybe help you a little.
1. I aligned it according to the rule of thirds.
Converted to B&W with 100% white/black contrast
Croped to a better angle for the viewer.
beachfencs.jpg

2. Took out fence( I thinkit was a fence) IDK but its gone
Re touched color
Saturation to an acceptable level.
Contrast equalized so not to blown out
Focus retouched to draw focus to center of picture
horizon leveled.
could have done more but I dont have a RAW to play with. I love RAW
log.jpg

If your gone shoot outside you need a polarizer. It will be night and day for you.
Learn the angles used by artist to increase the dramatic feel of the picture.
Always!!!Always!!!always!! follow the rule of thirds when shooting landscape.
Proper alignment and composition will increase depth. Keep shooting and over time you will notice improvements. People will say "I don't know what it is but this is a good picture" You can sit back and feel good because you know why. :)

Cheers.......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back