My first few from a new camera

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by iamcombat, Mar 25, 2010.

1. iamcombat

iamcombat TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shot with a Pentax K-x with kit lens. Hoping to get a new lens or two soon. A note on the first photo. I accidentally had it set to shoot as JPEG and my white balance was set to tungsten...so it turned out really blue. I tried to fix it as best as I could in photoshop but I still think it has too much of a blue tint to it....but enjoy anyways. C&C if you wish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. iamcombat

iamcombat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nothing on these? I'd even go for a "wow these are terrible...fix this...this and this"

3. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To be honest, the first one is just kinda blah. There's nothing in it that really stands out. The horizon is dead center. You usually (not always) don't want the horizon in the center of the frame. Pick what part of the frame is your main subject (sky or foreground) and make that take up around 2/3 of the frame. This is an aspect of what you'll hear referred to as the Rule of Thirds. The lighting off the rocks is pretty harsh, and this is likely due to the time of day when it was shot. Most higher end landscape photographers only shoot about 4 hours a day. 2 hours around sunrise, and 2 hours around sunset. This is because of the warmness of the light, and the angle of the light. I've mentioned this before, but a good landscape is an interesting object with a pretty background. Here's a random landscape photographer's website I found. Go look through his stuff, and search for your own to see what I mean.

I actually kinda like the last two, especially the last one. I think there's too much dead space in the second one, but it's still interesting. #3 I think is your strongest. There's lines that guide you through the frame, and you can tell there's a story somewhere in the shot.

4. iamcombat

iamcombat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the C&C much appreciated! I know about the rule of thirds...even though it's something I rarely follow...maybe I need to change the way I shoot. The reason I composed the first one the way I did is because I wanted to keep the rocks in the shot but they were only at the edge of the lake so I couldn't really aim up any further. Will keep your suggestion in mind...I can easily go back and reshoot which I will probably do with the correct WB this next time :)

5. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The first picture just doesn't have anything interesting in it. It's like a poem with no subject. If you had been lucky that day and the sky had thicker, heavier clouds in the top third, you might have ended up with a picture that had four different "subjects" or textures. That would have been more interesting.

Second one doesn't do much for me because it's a random street shot.

Third one is interesting, but I think there is too much competing for my attention; it's hard to know where to focus. I think all of these pictures suffer from not having a clear and compelling subject.

Best advice I could give is to just simplify your pictures. Include a clear subject and a compositional rule (i.e., Line, Shape, etc.)

6. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ya the first one is meh, but I dig number 2. I like the way the angle carried you through the street. I would have liked to have seen more fence line angle I think in 3 to have the same effect. But thats just my 2cp.

7. ArtphotoasiA

ArtphotoasiA No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I find the first one not so bad because of the white rocks.

8. cnutco

cnutco No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Much has been said about 1 & 2.

I like 3, but I would have liked to have seen the sign maybe from the otherside so the limbs were not in front of the sign and of course, take the pipe out of the picture and shoot it separate.