my first film problem

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by electricalperson, May 17, 2009.

1. electricalperson

electricalperson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i accidently mixed up new and used film and got a new roll of film developed so it was all blank:thumbdown:

i loaded a roll of used film into my camera and taken all double exposures by accident :thumbdown::thumbdown:

some of the double exposures looked pretty cool actually and im not upset about it at all. next time i will put a x with sharpie on the film container

im sure many of you guys done the same thing. my father told me he screwed up rolls of film

2. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ouch, that is why when I rewind a roll of film I rewind the leader all the way into the cassette. Atleast that whay when I make that mistake I find out the roll is exposed before I put it into the camera. PITA when you are out in the field and your extra rolls of film are all exposed and you are forced to be done for the day, but atleast those photos are safe because the roll of film can't be loaded into the camera.

3. electricalperson

electricalperson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i didnt know you could rewind the film all the way back into the canister. do they pop open the canister or grab the leader?

4. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    when we development film we just pop open the top, easy with an old fashion "church key".

5. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I keep a silver sharpie in my camera bag (great for writing on darkly colored things). I put an X on the leader with that when the roll is done.
    I just take my film to Walmart. They extract the leader to develop it, so I just leave it out to make it easier for them.

6. blash

blash TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Am I missing something here? My F100 always rewinds the leader completely back into the canister automagically, and to develop I always pop the entire canister open and reel it up.

7. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Some auto-rewind cameras can be set to leave the film leader out, or if it's being manually rewound, you can leave it out by the sound/feel of the rewind lever. But yeah, I always wind it all the way in and use a bottle opener to pop the can when it's developing time.

8. randerson07

randerson07 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have my auto rewind camera set to leave the leader out. and I can tell by the sound and feel on my manual cameras when to stop winding.

I always leave the leader out, I find it easier than popping the cap off. Plus, if I ever want to bulk load I can reuse the cans if I leave enough hanging out.

To make sure I dont accidentally load exposed film, or develop unexposed film, I make sure to fold a corner of the leader with a nice crease, that I can see, and feel in the dark.

9. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I always bent the leader back on an exposed roll so I wouldn't mix them up.

10. popawalker

popawalker TPF Noob!

I have my Canon 1N set to leave the leader sticking out a little, If I change to a different film speed I mark the casing of the removed roll with the number of the shot I was at so when I put that roll back in I can get to the right place, when I finish a rol, I roll the leader in by hand.

11. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do the same, but I go one frame past where I left off. If I don't, sometimes those two frames overlap by 1 or 2 mm. Not much, and it could easily be cropped (it's not like losing that 1mm on the edge is going to ruin the picture...) - I just don't like them touching, lol.

12. compur

compur No longer a newbie, moving up!

I'm an outie.