My first HDR - Night Shot To Boot

GoM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, so since I've finally gotten my mittens on a tripod, HDR is now possible....I'm already excited by the prospect, but I can't help but feel I have a bit of work left to go.

I'm aware that some of the lights are a little blown out, but what I'm looking for, if possible, is more of a general critique of it...is it exposed correctly after merging, etc? I guess the most important thing is if you can tell if it's HDR or not ;)

Thanks,

gwig3.jpg

This isn't really the best subject or time of day for HDR. You should take a photo when you have strong light in one area of your scene, and the other areas are in deep shade. Subjects that are back lit and silhouetted work well. The best example is that of a sunset where the sky is very bright, and the foreground is very dark.

im no expert on HDR, but I just have to say that I love the destillery district!

Cool shot. Could have used another underexposure shot to capture more of the detail in those bright spots. And I think there's too much of the road in the foregroud: the interesting part is the buildings, but they're kinda shoved to the side. I think this calls for a panorama! :p

This isn't really the best subject or time of day for HDR. You should take a photo when you have strong light in one area of your scene, and the other areas are in deep shade. Subjects that are back lit and silhouetted work well. The best example is that of a sunset where the sky is very bright, and the foreground is very dark.

Yeah, that's what I assumed....specifically speaking, the place I was standing in had nowhere near as much light as further down, but it's nowhere near the kind of contrast you're talking about here.

However, now that I have a tripod...I think this is something I'll find myself trying out more, situation permitting.

Thanks, Matt.

Find a nice scene at sunset, with a building, where the sunlight is hitting the opposite side of the building to you. You'll have to "overexpose" by several stops to get shots that show detail in the building side facing you. When combined with shots that are exposed for the sky, you'll get a nice looking HDR.

newbie here! nice scene you got there! i did some adjustments from cs2 and here is how i looked like:
my.php

Hehe thanks...

Ummm

I don't really mind, as I don't have the status..but...I would appreciate it if you (and anyone else) would ask before editing anything I put up. Again, I don't entirely mind if people *do* edit it...I'd just rather be asked beforehand. Thanks :)

Matt - Although there are undoubtedly parts of photography that are sheer luck in terms of location + lighting, I do have some ideas that may work well with HDR...I realize that the last thing you'd probably do is look out for someone on the internet's particular shots, but in the next couple weeks, if I get a nice sunset...I have some ideas :)

Hehe thanks...

Ummm

I don't really mind, as I don't have the status..but...I would appreciate it if you (and anyone else) would ask before editing anything I put up. Again, I don't entirely mind if people *do* edit it...I'd just rather be asked beforehand. Thanks :)

Matt - Although there are undoubtedly parts of photography that are sheer luck in terms of location + lighting, I do have some ideas that may work well with HDR...I realize that the last thing you'd probably do is look out for someone on the internet's particular shots, but in the next couple weeks, if I get a nice sunset...I have some ideas :)

ooopss! sorry!:badangel:

Most reactions

Back