My first HDR try, please rate me hard and tell me how it looks

Wow this hdr almost looks like it game from a game on the sega 32bit gaming console or sony ps1 back then we thought the graphics where wow the future of gaming now we look at it as what the *

Weird hdr approach but hey someone here will like it im sure.

Here's an example of where I use HDR.

main.php

If I didn't use some sort of post processing in this shot I would have lost the detail in the ceiling and in the windows. I know it's not a perfect shot, but it would have been a lot worse without the HDR process. I could have used a RAW file and achieved similar effects, but Photomatix makes it too easy. It also makes it too easy to over do.

i think the problem is the photo. the hdr should show more detail and contrast. you took the image from too far of a distance.

btw, nice house. what college?

i think the problem is the photo. the hdr should show more detail and contrast. you took the image from too far of a distance.

I'm going to redo it this weekend, Its a big house, I had to take it from across the street.

My two glasses are 70-200 2.8L and some stock cheap 18-65 glass?

I say this having never tried HDR, but your 3rd attempt is much more practical. It's still strange looking because of uneven processing across the house, and the tree seems to be causing problems, but it almost looks "normal". If you're going for an artistic crazy processed shot, and you like it personally, then that's ok. But to get most people to like the shot, it seems that it's best to make it not look like it's been processed at all, like someone else suggested.

As for myself, I feel HDR is a tool to be used when lighting varies greatly across a scene, where you want to capture the entire scene instead of recomposing tighter to remove areas that are too bright (often the sky), or too dark (often backlit).

Here is an example of an HDR that I consider to be alittle overdone, but I really like that effect...

HDR2-final.jpg

The point of HDR is to bring out the highs and the lows in the tones... Your first 2 photos are really trippy but not what is expected out of HDR...

If you want, click the link in my sig, there is a tutorial there on how I did the above photo... Good luck and keep posting...

Here is an example of an HDR that I consider to be alittle overdone, but I really like that effect...

HDR2-final.jpg

The point of HDR is to bring out the highs and the lows in the tones... Your first 2 photos are really trippy but not what is expected out of HDR...

If you want, click the link in my sig, there is a tutorial there on how I did the above photo... Good luck and keep posting...

That one is misaligned. And the clouds definitely moved between exposures. :(

I'll try an stay away from beating a dead horse, BUT the reason your photo doesn't work for most of us is, you went overboard on the tone mapping (dragging those sliders). We probably all have experimented with it, but you really have to learn where to use it, and under what conditions it works best.

I happen to think a perfect place for it is inside a building with areas of shadow, and light outside filtering in (rallysman's photo for example).

I would imagine that you are looking for a photo with some decent range, color, and detail. You CAN use something like a mild HDR conversion, but honestly I prefer to do it myself in Photoshop. I would personally break that single photo up into a few different parts and edit them independently, and then merge them back together into a photo with more range, and more pop where you want it.

If you check out the thread I linked in my signature (topic #3) you'll see an example.

HDR2-final.jpg

That one is misaligned. And the clouds definitely moved between exposures. :(

What makes this misaligned? The clouds did move but it was really windy so not much can be done about. I don't see where its misaligned anywhere else. If it were misaligned, you wouldn't be able to read the signs right? Can you point that out, maybe I'm just missing it?

and I agree with Dominant that the HDR doesn't really work for this image, I just happen to like the image and I can't post the one I did later in that evening with a different scene because its in a challenge that has to remain anonymous, so I can't post it until March 8...

Last edited:
Here's my version:

2my4z6d.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back