my first hdr's, c&c welcome!

barleymalt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went for a stroll with the cam today. This is my first shot at making hdr images so any cc would be appreciated. All handheld.

1)
4791442737_4a257c4df2_b.jpg

2)
4791442573_9a84752635_b.jpg

3)
4791442615_4b29524202_b.jpg

4)
4791442303_69d64aa343_b.jpg

5)
4792075372_56ce92fd78_b.jpg

6)
4792075244_6eaba56141_b.jpg

7)
7)
4792075128_0a889208c5_b.jpg

Last edited:
I like the warm tones.
They look super smooth, I don't know what the term is, but almost unreal. It's good, I've seen it in some ads. How did you get that unreal, smooth look?

Quite a fan of #4

2, 4, 5, 6...Om nom nom nom. :lol:
(That's my way of saying awesome work.)

All handheld? thought they had to be done with a tripod to keep the exposures in the same place for when u layer them? Also how much work is there to be done once u put them in photomatix software? Interested to try these but not sure if i need to buy another software program when im still learning to use photoshop let alone just photography in general....so many cool things, so little time.

I think you did a really nice job on these, now go buy the photo matrix program so you can get rid of the water marks

All handheld? thought they had to be done with a tripod to keep the exposures in the same place for when u layer them? Also how much work is there to be done once u put them in photomatix software? Interested to try these but not sure if i need to buy another software program when im still learning to use photoshop let alone just photography in general....so many cool things, so little time.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Handheld is fine in daylight. Just set your camera to bracket automatically and continuous release on fast. To stabilize the camera I just push my elbows into my gut and press the cam against my face. The slowest shutter I had was probably around 1/50 on the sunset shots. If youre off by a few pixels photomatix will line them right up for you when you import. Obviously for the sharpest shot possible you'll need a tripod but I'll make the sacrifice for convenience anytime. I probably spent about 5 minutes on each of these to find the right blend.

I like the warm tones.
They look super smooth, I don't know what the term is, but almost unreal. It's good, I've seen it in some ads. How did you get that unreal, smooth look?
Not sure if there's a term. If you don't know what HDR imaging is, look into it. These were all shot as such. The smooth look in #4 for instance, I achieved by shooting in monochrome, pushing the color temp up about to about 7.5, saturation very low, and all smoothness options on high. Then I pushed the contrast back up and voila. Really happy with this shot.

By the way, anyone else see miss piggy in the clouds on number 4? It's so obvious hahah i cant unsee it now.

Last edited:
These are nice, good work:thumbup:

By the way, you have some kind of dust or something on your sensor or lens. You can see it top of the picture on the right side on #4,5, and 7. It's very visible on #5 though.

1- it's a bit tilted. The sky looks great though. The bottom third of the picture seems really empty and kinda drags the rest of it down and distracts from the awesome sky.
2- nothing special here, IMO
3- same as 2; feels like something's missing.
4- definitely the best of the bunch, though the sky seems a little purplish in the middle; easy fix!
5- tilted; white balance seems a little off
6- too busy for my liking
7- not sure what you were going for here. there's a bit of lens flare and looks pretty much like a random snap shot.

Also, try to limit your pics to 5ish or less. if you put too many people are just gonna scroll through and not give much constructive criticism.

#4 is an excellent base for a mag ad. Generic street shot, anyone could relate to that. Well done, I don't think it is too purplish personally I think it adds some contrast to the image.

Most reactions

Back