My first HDRs on this site

Watch your tilts.

@ Unpopular- Yea I could see that. Maybe as someone else mentioned I need a bigger version because it really is a big space jam packed into a relatively small picture. I think that's part of it too though, there's a lot of depth and detail to the picture that it gets washed out.

@Manaheim- Which ones look tilted?

I dig the second shot, but it would probably work better in landscape orientation. Also, it needs to be straightened out. It's got a serious port list...

Landscape orientation would have been awesome had I been able to capture the sky and the water. Unfortunately I don't have a lens that can capture that wide. Thanks for the kind words though! And sorry for my lack of terminology but what is a 'port list'?

Jrmdb3 said:
Landscape orientation would have been awesome had I been able to capture the sky and the water. Unfortunately I don't have a lens that can capture that wide. Thanks for the kind words though! And sorry for my lack of terminology but what is a 'port list'?

A port list means its leaning to the left.

Gotcha. Well to justify that, that's how the buildings looked. The weren't perfectly perpendicular to the camera, more so at an angle so maybe it just gives that effect.

If this image were about the buildings appearing tilted, it isn't very successful. If it's not about the buildings appearing to be tilted then it's a distraction.

I kind of doubt that they appeared HDR-candy coated, either, so I don't think this image is about objective representation.

Jrmdb3 said:
Gotcha. Well to justify that, that's how the buildings looked. The weren't perfectly perpendicular to the camera, more so at an angle so maybe it just gives that effect.

Uh, if the buildings aren't vertical, the supervisor will have some very unhappy tenants.

Also, C&C isn't about finding justification for your images flaws, it's about learning the flaws and finding out how to make your images better.

I'm not arguing for my photos. I'm just saying it may appear so because of the angle.
It's weird though because the rounded part of the wall is vertical, as some of the building walls on the right seem vertical too. I'm not sure which one should be vertical!:p I guess the main subject should be vertical haha.

Jrmdb3 said:
I'm not arguing for my photos. I'm just saying it may appear so because of the angle.
It's weird though because the rounded part of the wall is vertical, as some of the building walls on the right seem vertical too. I'm not sure which one should be vertical!:p I guess the main subject should be vertical haha.

The rounded parts of the wall is not vertical. The entire image is leaning to the left. I am sorry, that's just the way it is.

I agree that the middle buildings are tilted. But some of the walls are straight. The rounded part walls are vertical, along with some of the buildings on the right. I guess we have different definitions of vertical.

Jrmdb3 said:
I agree that the middle buildings are tilted. But some of the walls are straight. The rounded part walls are vertical, along with some of the buildings on the right. I guess we have different definitions of vertical.

Yes, we do have different definitions of vertical. My definition is a 90deg difference from horizontal, your definition is "leaning slightly to the left."

If I wasn't on an iPad, I would show you how the entire image is tilted. Structural engineers don't often make vertical walls leaning to one side. Look at the window frame on the left that is closest to the edge of the photo. You can SEE the tilt compared to the verticality of the image. It's not hard.

You may think that it is properly aligned and "how you saw it," and that may be true if you have one leg shorter than the other. That's just the way it is, and I am not the only one who the thinks so.

You're not getting my point. Obviously I can see the tilt in that. 'It's not hard'. What I'm saying is that there are vertical lines like the brick wall and the buildings on the right. We're essentially arguing the same thing here. If you tilt it aligning the left side vertical, it throws of the brick wall and the right side.

Interesting side note- It's the oldest wall in Brugge!

Sorry; maritime terminology.

The photo's tilted to the left...

Jrmdb3 said:
You're not getting my point. Obviously I can see the tilt in that. 'It's not hard'. What I'm saying is that there are vertical lines like the brick wall and the buildings on the right. We're essentially arguing the same thing here. If you tilt it aligning the left side vertical, it throws of the brick wall and the right side.

Interesting side note- It's the oldest wall in Brugge!

You will "get it" someday. Today is evidently not your day, and no we are not arguing the same thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back