My First Infrared

Discussion in 'Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery' started by JamesD, May 30, 2006.

1. JamesD

JamesD Between darkrooms

Also my first stab at dodging, and I almost got it right! Thanks for the help, Sky!

[​IMG]

What do you think, Terri? Charlie? Anyone?

2. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It has a gorgeous look. In the terms of whats going around now it is luminescent. The clouds remind me of old time black and white with a heavy red filter. I like it but don't send me any. rofl

3. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gorgeous! :) You used a #25 red filter, is that right?

So happy it worked. :cheer:

4. JamesD

JamesD Between darkrooms

Yeah, a red #25. I forgot to up it from ISO 200 to 360. I believe it was around f/8 at about 1/30 second. 24mm prime on the Canon AE-1P. The grain in the actual print is incredible; it adds to the feel of the image in a way the scan just can't show.

I'll probably scan the color version, which I took at the same time with a 24mm, and upload it later today to compare. It's a world of difference.

I'm going to reprint it, and try to get the dodging around the windshield area better... you can see where I was off with it below the black around the windshield. I'll also burn around the prop tip in the upper right corner. Like I said, this was my first serious attempt at manipulation under the enlarger. The windshield, engine cowling, and the window were all completely black in the first print. I wound up having to lighten them up a full stop... meaning I had to do the nose and engine areas during one 45-second exposure, and the window during a second 45 second exposure. It's trickier than I thought it'd be.

Also, I printed with a #4 filter on Ilford MCIII variable-contrast paper.

Further also: I've got two or three images, which I didn't like quite as well, but I'll wind up printing. I'm shifting my focus from web-display to wall-display. Hopefully it'll key my attention up so I make better images... and have something to hang on my wall and maybe enter in contests. Then, there's always the arts & crafts fair in July....

5. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go for it kiddo, you cant beat festivals... lots of person to person feed back and the girls aint bad either...