oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
Sorry ferny! ;)

Nothing great, but at least I kinda got it to work! :D

lift1.jpg

:shock: :shock: I'm in lurve :love: . I can't wait to try my first one of these!

Hooray for the first lift!! :cheer:

It's a blast, isn't it? :D

You'll just find that it gets easier the more you handle the stuff. And I second Kara's question: how'd it go?? Did you like it?

Okay, so I have a question for the experts on here. Which camera should I be on the lookout for to do these and would 669 film be the best for doing the lifts and transfers?

malachite said:
A Vivitar slide printer. Lifts have to be done almost immediately after exposure of the film.[/quote]

Sweetheart, darling.... that's just ain't so. :wink: I've had 669 prints laying around for months before I decided to do a lift on them. All a lift asks is that the emulsion is fully developed and has been given a chance to harden. 15 minutes, weeks, months....it doesn't care. :D

That said, I also recommend slide printers in general, as opposed to buying various Polaroid cameras (or backs) that take the film. When you have a slide printer, you can use your own 35mm cam, any lens/filter combo you want to obtain a slide...and then virtually use the slide as a negative on a slide printer to further manipulate any way you want.

I'm totally emailing that chick then and callin' her out. I'll find her webpage here in a minute. Only page I found with step by step stuff for image transfers and all she talked about how you needed to move quick right after exposure.

I've been had....... twice now in one day too :cry: Heads are now gonna roll.............

malachite:...bursts through door with ferocious terror....storms off into the night to seek his revenge on the people who have wronged him this day........the last day these people might have ever seen...... End scene, show [to be continued], roll credits..............

Yeah I like to wait at least a day before I do my lifts :p Ive tried to do them straight afterwords, but the emulsion wasnt set enough and I just ended up wasting film :roll:

Maybe she confused the lifts with the transfers :scratch:

Karalee said:
I'm thinking (uh oh) it's me that's got all this backwards now. Emulsion Lift, Emulsion Transfer, Poloroid Transfer. Three names, 2 different things?

My head hurts. I'm just gonna stick with the SX-70 squishin' for now and let the grown ups do the lifting transferences of whatever.........

:roll:

malachite said:
Karalee said:
I'm thinking (uh oh) it's me that's got all this backwards now. Emulsion Lift, Emulsion Transfer, Poloroid Transfer. Three names, 2 different things?

My head hurts. I'm just gonna stick with the SX-70 squishin' for now and let the grown ups do the lifting transferences of whatever.........

:roll:

:LOL: Poor little baby!!! I decided early on to use my own terminology and stick with it!! I've read about "image *lifts*", "Polaroid emulsion transfers", blah blah blah. I found it confusing, with the subtle sharing of terms. Personally, I want a LIFT to refer only to an emulsion lift (yeah, yeah, so it's *transfered* to another receptor surface, but must we split hairs?) and an image transfer to refer to the process of prematurely peeling apart the pos/neg and slapping the neg onto the receptor. PERIOD.

I think we should collectively help each other here by sticking with the terms of image transfer and emulsion lift to keep that part simple! :wink:

Oh, and SX-70 manipulation can still be called "squishing" if Malachite likes it that way. :p

Congratulations on your first lift, Orie. It looks great, and the white areas on the right where the emulsion separated kinda look like white birds flying through the trees. :)

In my reading on the subject, my understanding is that you cannot do lifts or transfers with the Polaroid--you can only "squish." You need a slide printer to do the lifts/transfers. Is that right?

No you can do lifts and transfers with a polaroidd that will accept pack film, but a slide printer will allow you to use slides that you have previously shot to make your 669 images, instead of using a polaroid.

So you can use both, but I think a slide printer has the edge slightly, againt using a polaroid camera.

Yeah, I was starting to get confused myself. I'm getting kinda interested in this stuff. Of the three things we are talking about here...which one would I be able to try out the cheapest??? I'm really getting interested in this stuff you have been posting, but I don't know how to develop my own film, so would I even be able to do any of this?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back