My first lift!

Ha ha - Orie has to learn patience! :wink: Trust me, setting up will get quicker and it won't seem so time-consuming.

And now, for an off-topic rant: I disagree with the Polaroid Corp's tutorial on SX-70 manipulation. :x Quickest way to ruin an image is to be screwing around with it before it's had a chance to develop. You may end up with garish black or white slashes where you wanted something more delicate. And they also lead you to believe the image will start to "harden" after 4 or 5 minutes - poppycock! This puts undue anxiety on the beginner.

Take some of this stuff with a grain of salt, and trust Aunt Terri when she says you can wait till your SX-70 print (Time Zero film) develops, about 5 minutes or so, before you pick up your tools and start squishing (our new technical term) your emulsion around. You can get a feel for it MUCH quicker when you see the effects of your tool and your applied pressure. And you'll waste enough film then, as it is, during the learning curve. :wink: [End off-topic rant]

core_17 said:
You three are so full of knowledge! :) Ok...I'm thinking I'm not to interested in the image transfers right now. As for the lifts, what exactly is a receptor sheet? I mean, is it a certain kind of paper? Or just whatever paper I want? Enlighten me, ladies!

That's an all-purpose term for whatever kind of "sheet" or paper is going to be "receiving" your transfer. Since you can transfer images onto lots of different papers, wood, glass, ceramic tiles, etc - the "receptor" means whatever it is you are putting your image on. :D

And shooting slide film is wonderful! Some brands are very color saturated, and if you bracket by half-stops each way it's almost foolproof. Inexpensive to purchase as well as to develop, and then you have a lovely group of images to decide how you want to play with using Polaroid films.

Yes, we are all infected with Polaroiditis here. :wink:

I was just at Walgreens, and slide film there is about twice as expensive as regular 35mm film. Or are you saying it's inexpensive compared to Poloroid?

Corry, buy your slide film online, and youll find its cheaper, especially when you buy it in bulk.

And Terri, I never thought of using Ceramic Tiles, but Im gonna try that now!

This is so cool, weve got an alternative gang now :cheer:

And orie, sorry we stole your thread :oops:

Karalee said:
Corry, buy your slide film online, and youll find its cheaper, especially when you buy it in bulk.

And Terri, I never thought of using Ceramic Tiles, but Im gonna try that now!

This is so cool, weve got an alternative gang now :cheer:

And orie, sorry we stole your thread :oops:

I've not tried the tiles either, or brick, stones, glass.... but I know it must look cool. You'll have to show us if you try something like that!

And yeah, I am so happy to have company now, it was getting lonely in here. :wink:

This lift looks great! Especially for your first time!

I love doing this stuff.

For the others with questions:

As far as films that can be used, Polaroid 690 is good, too. It's like 669, only it has more color saturation. In fact, polaroid lists some black and white films on their site as use-able for Emulsion Lifts. The site says you can use 664 b/w polaroid film (i have yet to try this).

I have a tutorial up for Emulsion Lifts. I don't have one on Image Transfer, as I feel I could get better at that before telling someone else how to do it.

Here's the Emulsion Lift tutorial for those interested:
http://www.elvissoutherndeathcult.com/emulsionlift.htm

For those looking to get into this stuff, a packfilm Polaroid camera is a good tool. I suggest the Colorpack II (can be had real cheap on ebay and takes AA batteries), or more expensively, the Polaroid Propack or EE100 (they are both plastic packfilm cameras that take AA batteries.

Or you can get a slide printer and shoot slides to use for transfers/lifts.

by the way...i'm new. :) hi all!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back