My First Lightning Shots!

chantal7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One thing I learned, it is very hard to focus your camera in the dark! I had to manual focus, and it was really hard to see. If anyone knows an easier way, I'd like to know :). But here are my first lightning pictures - I was pretty excited. I know the horizon is a little crooked, because of the ground I was on; no helping that one. I didn't edit these what-so-ever. Hope you like them! (My favourite is #7)

IMG_4743.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4737.jpg

IMG_4736.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_4733.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

My only complaint here is the power lines (which you can't really avoid I understand) and the slant of all the horizons. I forgot to add that the way I have focused my lightning pictures is to focus on a light in the distance. I see you have a building in the picture. Try to see if you can focus on that. Also... I have found that if you focus to infinity and then back it off just a tad you can usually be pretty successful with your focus. Nice job exposing the lightning.

My only complaint here is the power lines (which you can't really avoid I understand) and the slant of all the horizons. I forgot to add that the way I have focused my lightning pictures is to focus on a light in the distance. I see you have a building in the picture. Try to see if you can focus on that. Also... I have found that if you focus to infinity and then back it off just a tad you can usually be pretty successful with your focus. Nice job exposing the lightning.

Yes, I realize the slant on the horizons, I normally don't do that. I didn't take my time 100% because mosquitoes were attacking me like crazy. Didn't even think of the annoying things when I went out there.

I did try to focus on the building there, it helped in the later photos I've posted - I thought maybe there was a different way. I'm not too familiar with infinity focus though?

Infinity focus is the farthest focus you can have on the lens. The lens has a minimum and maximum focus. So instead of saying infinity focus, you could also say max focus then back off a bit from max focus.

Infinity focus is the farthest focus you can have on the lens. The lens has a minimum and maximum focus. So instead of saying infinity focus, you could also say max focus then back off a bit from max focus.

Oooh, okay, Got ya. Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbup:

ok, ok, details. How did you capture? Bulb? Lightening detection system? Random shots?

I am so jealous. I have been trying about 6months now.

Gah! Tell, tell tell.

ok, ok, details. How did you capture? Bulb? Lightening detection system? Random shots?

I am so jealous. I have been trying about 6months now.

Gah! Tell, tell tell.

I had this very powerful lightning detection system....

Nah, just kidding. I just used a 30 second exposure, 100 ISO speed. The lightning was going at a fair speed, one after another, so I think I got lucky there. The lightning was going constantly, Hm, now I see how hard it is to capture lightning. I would have had a hell of a time getting it if it was slow...

Most reactions

Back