My First Macro pictures =]

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by ngirly1991, Jul 4, 2008.

1. ngirly1991

ngirly1991 TPF Noob!

i went outside my house where the valley is and started taking pictures of everything that is interesting...most flowers. it's not really my first macro shots but usually i dont use it...
    so...what do you think?

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

2. AmericanJesus

AmericanJesus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A few of them are a bit fuzzy(unsharp), but not a bad start! LOVE the flower in number 3. If you have a tripod, use it. If not get one, they are the sharpest lens you can buy ;).

3. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How are you doing these?

Are you using a dedicated Macro lens or a macro zoom?

Tripod or hand held?

What kind F-Stops are you using?

4. Robin

Robin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first one is my favorite but I think it needs a little contrast boost. The others seem out of focus (aside from the last one) but otherwise (compositionally) seem pretty good.

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Some minor focusing and exposure issues, but overall some very nice work. As A_J said, definitely get/use a tripod, even in bright sunlight, good macros are often difficult to shoot hand-held. Additionally, don't forget about your lighting. 3&4 have highlight/shadow issues that could easily be rectified with the use of inexpensive home-brew diffusers and reflectors.

6. CowboysDaughter

CowboysDaughter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the others.

#1 your camera focused, but I find with macro, it's difficult to focus on more than one point.

#2 is good composition, I like the purple flower with the golden yellow background, but again it's really out of focus.

#3 is a really neat subject!! It looks like camera shake was the problem here. Everybody is recommending a tripod, something I would like to invest in myself. However, I take alot of macro shots, and get some really great results that are clear blown up quite large, with no obvious blurring whatsoever, minus the tripod. So good macro pictures can be achieved without a tripod, though it certainly does help.

#4, you have the same reoccuring problem.

#5 is very clear, but I don't see anything about it that really catches my attention.

Try to take pictures is softer morning or evening light, and definitely when the air has stilled quite a bit, very difficult to take good macro pictures in the wind, even in a slight breeze. Keep trying, I'd like to see some more of your work! ;)

7. ngirly1991

ngirly1991 TPF Noob!

thanks a lot =]

8. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree about the unsharpness. You need to use a tripod! It will really make a huge difference in your macro work. I like #3, but it could have been improved as I think there is some camera shake.

9. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the flowers are beautiful, and i really like number 3.

however as stated by others already, there is some blurriness in some shots. i suspect you maybe went below the minimum focusing distance (got too close?)? This can be critical in macro photography.

10. CowboysDaughter

CowboysDaughter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Alex B has a point! I completely forgot about that, didn't even cross my mind!

Yeah for close up macro shots like the first 4 you did, I don't use the zoom at all because I like to get so close, sometimes I use it at an extremely minimal level if at all.

11. ngirly1991

ngirly1991 TPF Noob!

i totally agree with everybody! i know about the unsharpness. basically i live in israel and i like photography a lot , never took any course and never been to a photograpy orientation in school but always wanted...ive been taking pictures and trying to learn about my camera a little more in the past two years when my very first picture that came out good was in seattle. i edit my pictures before on photoshop. the thing is, that it's summer now and i have to know a little more of what im doing cus i dont. i had no idea im not supposed to use zoom if i use the macro, i dont know what the super macro is and probably still playing with the settings of the aperture and the shutter and all the rest hoping one will come out good. i dont really understand what im doing im just learning about it, and ive done it well by now but i still need to know what im doing.

12. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have the feeling you are on the right track here though :) .... just leanr some more about the basics.. as you plan to do :)