My first "macro" shots using the reverse lens technology...

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by john3eblover, Jul 17, 2005.

1. john3eblover

john3eblover TPF Noob!

Using a lot of tape, and my only two lenses (quantarray for Nikon, and Tamron for Canon...i know, crap), i managed to take some interesting pictures. This is definitely very fun, and i plan to take a lot more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

let me know what you think

2. M @ k o

M @ k o TPF Noob!

I think these are awesome shots. Nice job ! Really cool !

3. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    wow!
    The coin is awesome! That's my favorite! :D

4. john3eblover

john3eblover TPF Noob!

thanks guys :)

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, very, very cool! Will I ever understand how it is done so I can try it out myself? I doubt it much :(.

Oh well, my favourite of the series are the "rainbow droplets" in photo No ... hang on, let me count (couldn't you have counted them for me, John3?) ... 5.

6. erniehatt

erniehatt TPF Noob!

They are absolutely brilliant shots, but I believe you owe us a better explanation. Ernie

7. captain-spanky

captain-spanky TPF Noob!

not a believer myself but that money shot is the... money shot!!! :lol: :lol: :D
    such a strong image with the wording and the guy looking up and the tones and colours are just coooooooooool.
    well done.. all i managed was the top of a cake when i did it...
    [​IMG]

8. binglemybongle

binglemybongle TPF Noob!

9. captain-spanky

captain-spanky TPF Noob!

lol @ sneaky shortcut... :lol:
    just search for 'reversed lens' i think it was sk8man who did the best thread on that technique so far... s'güd :D

10. john3eblover

john3eblover TPF Noob!

yeah, you basically tape the front of a lens to the front of your existing lens, and focus through it. there's a tutorial about it somewhere out there. its not super hard to do, but it is indeed a sneaky shortcut. I took some really creepy ones tonight that i will post tomorrow sometime. I also have a great one for the super-macro guessing game :-D

11. Nidhi

Nidhi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    WOW! I also tried this technique, but failed :(

12. codex0

codex0 TPF Noob!

Well seeing your shots finally got me to make a reverse-lens mount of my own. A bunch of people have been asking how to make one, so here is what I did (I have a digital SLR - Canon D20).

First I took a body cap and removed the center of it (drilled lots of holes around it, then cut around them and filed it all down. Smoothed with sandpaper. This gives you a big plastic ring that will attach to your body. I then removed the glass from a 58mm (the filter size for the lenses i want to use) filter. I then superglued the 58mm filter to the ring (after roughing both surfaces). I then superglued black fabric around the outside of the ring so as to prevent light leak. BE CAREFUL TO ensure that the filter is oriented so you will be able to screw this whole contraption on to the front of your lens. DO NOT put the adapter on your lens until it is dry - it will leave marks on your lens at best and become glued to it at worst. OK. So what you have when you do attach it to your lens is pretty much a lens with body fittings on both ends. (If you want to dedicate a lens to this, it's easy to just put body caps on both ends). Attach your lens to your camera backwards. The more wide angled the lens, the "closer" you will focus and the more magnification you will get. You will have problems with lgiht, so use a lens with as high an aperture as possible (I use a sigma 28-70 2.8. Even with that I have to use ISO 1600-3200 often). At 18mm, my 18-55mm lense focuses at about one inch. Here are some pictures I've taken with this setup - i'll try to get some pictures of the rig up tonight. Maybe some neat little diagrams, as well.

Not the greatest picture for focus, light, or composition, but it gives you an idea as to the zoom you can get with a normal wide angle lens.[​IMG]
    The words on a light bulb
    [​IMG]

This is the zoom range of my Sigma 28-70 lens mounted backwards (sorry about the out of focus shots).

Zoomed "out" all the way - 70mm
    [​IMG]

Zoomed "in" all the way - 28mm (That's the dot on the I in "vanilla).
    [​IMG]