My first maternity session.

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
**I POSTED THESE ALREADY IN THE "PROFESSIONAL" FORUM BUT WAS LOOKING FOR MORE FEEDBACK... IF THATS AGAINST THE RULES OR SOMETHING, FEEL FREE TO DELETE THIS AND SMACK ME AROUND**

A model I worked with before is expecting.

I was extra proud of these because her husband in the military is overseas and is going to miss her entire pregnancy, and I hope that he enjoys them.

Please give me feedback on which work and which don't!

-Ryan

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0243.JPG

DSC_0270.JPG

DSC_0277.JPG

DSC_0325.JPG

DSC_0335.JPG

DSC_0360.JPG

DSC_0365.JPG

im more interested in "tiny cop" and how you did it?

Easy... Photoshop!

;)

(It's called Tilt Shift, and if you need a tutorial on it, I suppose I could make one... but you can google it as well and probably find a good one.)

I don't care for the poses in 1 or 3 but I think the rest are lovely. Very nice. A little different but not too out there that her child will die of embarrassment if they are in the baby book. 2 is my favorite.

If you are a photo shop guru (whats this about a tiny cop??) in 7 her thigh is mighty funky. I think there is also a weirdness to the shape of the abdomen. I Like the eye contact she has in it though. But the weirdness in the thigh really keeps pulling my eye.

in #1 there is just something in the pose that makes me think "oh what did I just step in"

and in #3 I would have liked to see her facial profile and more definition between the shirt and her belly.

#9 is the real glamor shot.

#5 is really pretty and soft. It really looks as if she is thinking about the baby :)

I just wonder how itchy it had to be to be naked in that hay stuff LOL

So I went and found the post in the professionals forum. I wonder why you seemed bitter. You got a lot of praise and didn't specifically ask for any pointed C&C. Seems like you got what you were looking for and came here for more? What is it that you are looking for feedback on specifically?

So I went and found the post in the professionals forum. I wonder why you seemed bitter. You got a lot of praise and didn't specifically ask for any pointed C&C. Seems like you got what you were looking for and came here for more? What is it that you are looking for feedback on specifically?

Did I seem bitter? I didn't mean to be, just looking for more information, hopefully more crits that perhaps can help me with my next session... because I will be working with her next month again!

:)

ok, but can you specify what you are looking for? Cold C&C is going to get you alot of "greats". If you wanted c&c on something specific, people could be more helpful. If you want a confidence boost, that's fine too. Just...ya know, let us know.

As a mother of 3, ask her not to tighten her abdomen muscles and if she still has that funny flat spot above her baby bump have her "stick it out" a wee bit..... pregnant bellies look much more appealing rounded and soft of course.

7's expression is absolutely spectacular! It's so playful!

I'm really loving 1,3 & 6... not a fan of 7 & 8... I dunno, that pose just looks weird to me.. maybe its that she has nothing on? Or at least nothing showing below the waist...

Well I posted this in the other thread but didn't know if you saw it. So, I just copied and pasted into this one. Sorry for the repeat information, just trying to help.
Number 5 is by far the best. This is such a beautiful woman, the jeans just kill the shots. The second set came out much better. I do not shoot maternity, so these are just my first impressions.

I like the beauty a woman glows when she is pregnant. I do not like clothes that distract from that beauty. When I see the jean shots, it makes me feel as though she just ate too much and needs room in her waist.

I don't like 9 because it looses focus on the pregnancy. If you were just looking at nine and saw no others, would you really know she is pregnant?

Her face in 7 is just adorable. 6 is good, but I think 5 nails it. It shows the connection between mother and unborn child. She is not looking at the camera, so all focus is not on her. It's as though you have captured a moment that is shared just between her and the baby to be.

I hope this helps. I would love to do these, but it just hasn't come up.

-Nick

1. seems a bit too soft.
2. The lens flare is too distracting.
3. Would have been a great pic if her hair was flipped to expose her face. You're
trying to capture the mother/child connection, so don't hide her face.
4. Looks too slouchy. Like she just ate Thanksgiving dinner instead of the beauty of carrying a child.
5. Is the best one, imho. Would like to see more of her stomach in the pic though...realling making the connection the focal point.
6 & 7 are sweet pics. Really like them.
9. Looks too much like a glamour shot.

THANKS GUYS!

This is what I was looking for.... more critiques. I didn't know what I needed specifically since I've never done this before.

I do want to respond to the mother commenting on the not-so-roundness... I agree! However she is only 5 months pregnant. She WAS pushing, as much as possible I suppose.

She was a good sport... even offering to climb a tree at one point! Of course I wouldn't let her, but she was willing to do whatever it took!

RMT

Very Very Nice! When I read "Maternity Session" I thought ok, black background, B&W's etc.. but no, there was a very nice surprise inside! The location and feeling of these is wonderful, all natural, the way it should be :)

#1, #5, #6 & #9 are my picks, #6 being the favourite I think. The lens flare in #2 is a little distracting but I don't think it goes as far as being subtractive from the image.

for some reason I love the lens flare in #2. it gives it a dry, summer feeling. maybe that's just me.

well done.

Most reactions

Back