My first maternity shoot...

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by demain, Nov 27, 2008.

1. demain

demain TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I usually dont do much with portrait photography, but my soon to be sister-in-law is going to be having a little boy in Feb and she wanted me to take some maternity pics for her. This was the first time I have ever attempted to do a formal portrait photoshoot. Comments and Criticism welcome!

1.[​IMG]
    2.[​IMG]
    3.[​IMG]
    4.[​IMG]
    5.[​IMG]
    6.[​IMG]

2. brianne5499

brianne5499 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Those are Beautiful!

3. AlfromLA

AlfromLA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the first pic the most.

4. MHarvey

MHarvey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    3 and 4 are my favorite, i like the facial expression of the couple in both, i think you captured the emotions very well. great job!

5. jv08

jv08 TPF Noob!

4 and 6 are best. The expressions are great.

6. demain

demain TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone!

7. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1 and 2 are way too dark for my taste.
    You don’t see where her arm is in 1 and her entire body melts into the shadows in 2. A little less darkness would mean you would cut her out of the picture a bit more and make her stand out.

3 is also very dark, but the darkness doesn’t affect the overall picture. The water looks very black. I dunno… I guess maternity and darkness aren’t things I normally put together. They are also not too in focus.

4 is my favourite picture of the set. Nice colours, nice facial expressions. The picture doesn’t seem as sharp as it can be, but its still nice. If I were to change something it would be the blue blanket. Seems like the colours are a bit too saturated and the blue jeans + blue blanket are a bit strong

While I like the overall set, I find always having them looking down gets to be a bit depressing. The only one they are not looking down at is #3, where they are looking at each other. I love to see crisp and clear eyes in portraits. I get the mood and pose, but would be nice to have some variety. Seems a bit somber for something that she be happy.

For a first portrait set, they are pretty good. I think you got most poses and backgrounds right (except for the black on black and faces looking down IMO). The technicalities of taking portraits to ensure a great exposure in the camera so you don’t have to work too much in photoshop afterwards.

8. demain

demain TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the input! Very helpful. I agree that the ones where she wore the black shirt made things a little too dark and that the one with the pond in the background blended in too well with their shirts. The black also made it hard to emphasize the belly....if I ever do it again I think I will suggest against black shirts. I really didnt do much work in photoshop except for tweaking the white balance, exposure, and saturation a little on a few of them before converting them from RAW to JPEG.:thumbup: