My First Model Shoot C&C Please

PhotoKromze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys, this is my first model-shoot. Need your comments, critiques and top of all, helpful suggestions to take things further

I will be posting pictures as I got on working with them

Shikha 01.jpg

Guys, this is my first model-shoot. Need your comments, critiques and top of all, helpful suggestions to take things further

I will be posting pictures as I got on working with them

View attachment 96304
Check your lighting. Look at the shadows on her face. It looks like she was beaten under her left eye, e.g. Also, I think a light on the background would be a plus. I don't see a reason for her shadow there.

1/6sec hand held and it kinda shows.

I was expecting this to be shot at 3200iso or so, but says 100.

looks OOF to me? Shutter speed would explain that. First effort, ok! Now get back in there and try again!

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions and inputs. As my profile states, I am a noob, and I embody that word in true spirit. Having never before taken up photography seriously, everything is pretty new to me, in terms of shadows and lighting. But don't worry, I would climb up the ladder, soon enough :)

This was the first ever time I got a model to shoot, so naturally I was nervous to the core. Plus, the set-up was not a studio, but a friend's apartment (my bad that I didn't check the lighting out). Having said that, no excuse can be big enough if the pictures don't come in right.

Coming in another picture from the same series. More C&C requested.

And if any one of you please offer me tutelage, will be much obliged. :) Cheers again!!

Shikha 02.jpg

^ :boggled:.... What else you got?

Just take it one step at a time. The shots of the model need more and better light, but you can compensate somewhat by increasing the ISO. The standing portrait you seem to have missed focusing on her face. The sitting portrait needs the light to be more on her face, not her arm.

Just take it one step at a time. The shots of the model need more and better light, but you can compensate somewhat by increasing the ISO. The standing portrait you seem to have missed focusing on her face. The sitting portrait needs the light to be more on her face, not her arm.
^^This^^

Most people don't realize just how dark it is inside the average room, at least the way a camera sees things. My suggestion would be to start by removing one hurdle right off that bat: lighting. Move outside. Avoid mid-day sun, dappled light and deep shadow. Just practice moving the model around and seeing what sort pose looks good and what doesn't.

Last edited:
The first is kind a miss for me ... looks like motion blur, there's a weird blotchy look to her skin, the left eye looks bruised and there's something going on in the color of her hair, that isn't flattering.

But there is something intimate and pleasing about the second one, even with the incandescent lighting. Especially if the lamp is cropped out, which then creates like a firelight sort of thing. I light the soft shadow transition on the right side of her face and right arm, and the catchlights in her eyes. But mostly I like her expression which seems genuine and in the moment. I like the way we transition from complete dark on the left of the frame to the subject on the right. The wavy pattern on the pillow adds some interest (for me ... others may find it distracting).

Just my quick thoughts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back