My First Model Shoot C&C

bgaideski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bjgphoto.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like some C&C for this shoot if you would. It is a somewhat pinup style but not quite.

I had very low lighting, and just made use of my surroundings, in this case, my bedspread and sheets.

I assure you this shoot is SFW.
Sorry they are in three different groups, I didn't upload them all at the same time.

Photos by Brian Gaideski: Dayna's Photoshoot
Photos by Brian Gaideski: Dayna's Photoshoot 2
Photos by Brian Gaideski: Dayna's Photoshoot 3

DSC_7199B_1280x829.jpg

DSC_7047A_1280x850.jpg

The lighting/exposure is terrible. Especially in the first one. I also find the gigantic ring to be a distraction in the second picture.

While I wouldn't say terrible, its not good. What lighting did you use?

No go on any of these, the lighting is very bad, some of them the WB looks off. A chick laying on a bed doesn't exactly fit what I think of when I see pinup, IMO.

Well I didn't have any professional lighting, and just the stock flash which i didn't really want to use.

This was sort of just for fun, because I don't have much experience shooting portraits.

you are correct the white balance is fubar.

im considering buying a sb-600, up until this point i haven't really needed it, but now i think i do.

im looking into items to use for backdrops, im thinking i might try large pieces of fabric draped up over something tall. any suggestions?

I get some light first. If you want to save money go to Lowes and get some work light for $7 each. Or get a basic strobist setup. With that you can take it anywhere!

Yup, lights my man. Model photography is all about the lighting.

im looking into items to use for backdrops, im thinking i might try large pieces of fabric draped up over something tall. any suggestions?
I hate fabric, rarely does the texture work in a shot... at least not for me.

Get a $40 9ft roll of background paper and a stand (maybe another $50).

Definitely get a light, get more than one if you can... one can do some pretty cool stuff. Also, make or buy a reflector or two.

Check out the Strobist.com website for some great ideas.

Question about a seamless paper background, if you're doing full body stuff, how do you keep it clean? I think that would be pretty difficult.

im on the other side of the fence about fabric (to a point). as i've devoted my budget elsewhere (expanding my strobist kit as of late), even with the cheaper background options i find myself not wanting to spend even $50 or so. what i did a couple months back is went to walmart and picked up nice (cheap) sets of regular white and black bed sheets. the white is easily blown out with the flash if you want it to be (high key type shots) so you wont ever see the creases and such, and for lower key shots the black hides itself nicely.

since i use white the most, the most recent picture i got of the black is this crappy one i took just playing around a couple months ago:

more recently, and something a bit different for me(mixing fabrics), i mixed a pink vinyl table top cover with the white bed sheet for a valentines day type shoot of the puppy:

didnt really care for the results so much to be honest. will stick with solid colors from now on, but the point remains. i think they can work depending on the subject, lighting, etc. whether or not the end result works or not is up to you. i do think doing it proper is best, but if money is tight... :)

Question about a seamless paper background, if you're doing full body stuff, how do you keep it clean? I think that would be pretty difficult.
You trim off the ends after a couple of uses. It have used mine a bunch and just now need to replace the gray as I've trimmed off enough to warrant a new roll. It's paper, it's disposable... that's why it's so cheap. :)

Glad im not the only one to experiment with bed sheets!!! I use those for black...took a while to get a good setting to fade it out though.
Hubby also went to a fabric shop and bought me 4 different fabrics.
I went to lowes hardware and bought some PVC pipes (very skinny ones)..
Glued one end of the fabric to the pipe with rubber cement glue, and now i can just roll them up when im done!
Since i dont have a stand yet or anything, i put two hooks in the wall and i just lay the pipe in the hooks and im all set.

The basic problems I saw were underexposure and inconsistent white balance. On the B&W shots, it looked like those were terribly underexposed. Do you have access to a tripod for working in that type of indoor, low lighting? A tripod would help quite a bit. Keep plugging away at it,and your shoots will get better.

Look, the pictures are far off from perfect, but props and kudos for starting down this path. There are non-photographic issues such as communicating with the model or pre-visualizing the shoot that require their own learning curve. Have fun, keep at this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back