My first model shootout

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I admit, I had plenty of help here, but I did manage to do some of the thinking on my own. Here's a couple examples I would like you guys to berate if you could, please.

Brianna by Michael Long, on Flickr

Emmy by Michael Long, on Flickr

From a composition and angle standpoint, how are these? I tried shooting slightly different angles than what everyone else saw.

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

Your photos are great.

I'm a big fan of the last one, because of the movement and the energy it has. Talking about Brianna, my fav is the second one. I'm not a big fan of the first, the right part is not very important to me, and i feel a bit fustrated not seeing what Brianna is looking at

that said, this is my 2 cents. All pics are very nice !!!

I definitely see your point. Thanks!

I wonder how I can make her look at something. Or what she could be looking AT. Hmm.

1. You don't have her in the ideal location with respect to the leading lines. Given that the siding is brighter than the subject, the eye is more attracted to it, and follows it past her right and out of the image. I'd like to see at least 1/2 - 2/3 stop more on her overall.

2. Similar issue to 1 with the siding, however the selective focus mitigates this to a great extent, BUT... she's significantly under-exposed and you have a very bright background area.

3. Holy 1974 Batman... I didn't like this look the first time around! :lol: Good use of light here, but honestly, not really a fan of the pose/composition.

4. The background kills this one!

First let me say, you don't lack technique, I think you lack experience with model poses.
The photos are great, color balance, sharp, nice use of DOF,

You've got to look more at your available light, don't be affraid to move your model, and to tell them, ya it works, no it doesn't let move. Constant talking and directing. They don't see themself.

1. She doesn't look stable, loot at her heels. I'm pretty sure from the other side, the light would have been better. You have one catch light only, one part of her face light, one part in the shadow. The direction of her eyes, with her body position make it look a bit akward.

2. I would dodge her a little, she's a bit underexposed. And a tighter crop would work best. It's my favorite

3. Compare to other, the light is better, the pose is weird, try to get her a bit more relax, would have been better if her back was against the wall, one foot extend the other closer to the wall.

4. Gorgeous use of light, however need a little dodging on her face to compensate.
She looks short, and with the long skirt even more, this is why you have to really play with perspective and to get on your back to make her appear a little taller.

Yeah, I probably should have gone lower for the dress shot. Your favorite is the one I posed, actually. I can easily bring out the shadows as a whole and see if that improves.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Is she trying to hold up the building or push it over? lol I'm not so sure about some of the poses, it's like she's trying too hard. The second one is lovely. I might like the last one better without the pattern of the skirt due to the movement making it visually hard to look at (maybe with a different skirt it'd been better).

I'd keep an eye on the edges of the frame, in one it looks like you were catching just the edges of windows from another building next door. Watch for visual distractions like the black hole in the white house which is right next to her foot. Think about how you position yourself or the subject, and the shadows especially this time of year with the short days.

I think the second and the last are terrific. You could crop a little off the bottom of the last.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I reworked this image to a relatively small extent. Just moved some sliders around until I was happy with what I saw. You guys are right, the second image is quite dark.

Oh and I found another of Emmi (I've been spelling it wrong) I REALLY like. Yeah, the background kinda sucks, but you know what? It gives the illusion that she's walking through a neighborhood with this ridiculously flowy dress.

Emmi by Michael Long, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back