My First Offering, a Thorny Issue

DaveWrong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In an old village, near the hills of Dartmoor.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok this is from a D60 i only bought yesterday, lots of learning to do.

DSC_0041.jpg

Hey Dave,

Congrats on the new purchase! What's your background with photography?
From this one image, I have some input (fully recognizing that I'm not an authority of any kind):

1. Think a bit about where the main point of interest is. Here, it looks like you've focused on the center of the photo, which, because there's so much going on around it, just kind of gets lost in a big jumble. Given the lines in the photo (the main branch, the direction of some of the flowers) my eye gets pulled into the upper-right quadrant of the plant. I would have made that the subject. If you're using the center point to autofocus, you can always "lock it" by focusing on it, keeping your finger depressed, and reframing the shot.

2. Depth of field is starting to get there - the background is blurred nicely helping the plant to pop, but it might be a little bit shallow, as most of your subject is out of focus. This can be useful, but here it just seems a little confusing to me.

Beyond that, maybe try picking a subject that has a bit more contrast and is more defined - you've got a photo here of something not too interesting, which is nearly the same color of the background, and has tons of little details across the frame with nothing to really act as a main point of interest. Things to think about when creating a photograph.

Having said all that - congratulations on getting started. You're in for quite a journey!

I'm sorry, but I can't really tell where you're focusing. IMO, the thorn is just in the way.

I disagree with Chris though. I think it's a decent subject. Just get the yellow to stand out more.

Heh guys, thanks very much for the feedback.

I will be honest with with you, putting my first shot on here was as much about learning how to upload onto TPS as the actual shot itself.

In answer to your first question, i have no particular background in photography apart from normal compact use. I have however always had a massive interest in the subject though, and have been lurking around on this site and reading mags for years.

The shot was taken on auto, with no manual input from me at all, but im looking forward to getting stuck in this week with some of the settings.

Chris some very interesting points you raised there, will certainly make me think when next out and teinlientl thanks for you comment.

Plenty of more things i would like to talk about here however, i have to go out to a dinner now which im not happy about.

All the best guys.

Alright dude!... good to see you've made a post so soon after your purchase, it is the quickest way to learn by far.

you have a good idea already of where the subject could be placed, just need to watch where the focus point is, but don't worry im sure you'll get use to the way that works with your new camera. Good start dude.

Not much of anything in focus.

The center part protruding forwards is in focus, the rest is out due to the dof.

Hmm, a nice photo, although there are a couple of criticisms I have to make:

There isn't really anything to lead the eye into what is supposed to be the main subject (be it a thorn in particular, the yellow, or just the whole bush), so I find myself looking around the image trying to find something. Also, I think it would help using a smaller aperture (larger F-number) to give it a little more depth of field.

Other than that, though, it is a nice photo. Good to see you posting so soon after buying the camera. I hope it suits you well, and keep practising! Good luck!

Thanks again for all the comments.

Now on page 43 of the camera manual, shooting in A mode(aperature-priority auto) so that depth thing should pick up i hope.

Arch, standbye for rodent shots soon;)

Most reactions

Back