My first Owl photos! (Re edited, with CA removed!)

These are quite good, clean images of the owl. At least he isn't hiding behind a branch. I would be tempted to remove those two "branches/twigs" on the left side of the bird as they are a distraction (Lightroom can do that). I would also be tempted to use the Adjustment Brush to lighten up its eyes - I said "tempted".:biggrin-93:

The only advice I would give you for future shots is to watch the background. It's not too bad in this one, but I often find that I have let a "distracting" element creep in on some of my shots. I am so concentrated on the bird that I can sometimes forget to check the whole image before pushing the shutter button.

If you are really interested in birds, then you might want to check out Art Morris' blog - Arthur Morris BIRDS AS ART . He is recognized as perhaps the top bird photographer in North America.

WesternGuy

The first five or so shots I took of him he had a small limb half way in front of his face, I didn't want to chance moving until I had something, even if it was really bad! :lol: I waited till he looked behind him and when he did I slowly moved over, and got another seven or eight shots before he took off.:1219:

I didn't think to try brightening up his eyes, I don't know why I didn't, I've done it in other photos. I will give it a shot! :)
Thanks, for a great C&C!!! :Hail.sml:

Very nice!

Thanks! :)

These are quite good, clean images of the owl.
(edited...)
If you are really interested in birds, then you might want to check out Art Morris' blog - Arthur Morris BIRDS AS ART . He is recognized as perhaps the top bird photographer in North America.

WesternGuy

Just ignore all the ads to purchase things if you can. You have to be able to weed through it all - there's lots. I peek at his site almost daily.

I agree, but it isn't hard to do (ignore the ads). I have been doing it for about 4 years. A guy has to make a living, but sometimes Art can overdo it for those of us not used to hard sell. On the other hand, a lot of photographers use their blogs to sell their wares - look at Alain Briot's website Alain Briot Fine Art Photography. He promotes all his workshops, his books and his CDs, as do a lot of others.

WesternGuy

These are quite good, clean images of the owl.
(edited...)
WesternGuy

The first five or so shots I took of him he had a small limb half way in front of his face, I didn't want to chance moving until I had something, even if it was really bad! :lol: I waited till he looked behind him and when he did I slowly moved over, and got another seven or eight shots before he took off.:1219:

I didn't think to try brightening up his eyes, I don't know why I didn't, I've done it in other photos. I will give it a shot! :)
Thanks, for a great C&C!!! :Hail.sml:

Very nice!

Thanks! :)

Did you not notice that owls have eyes in the back of their heads? :laughing:

WesternGuy

These are quite good, clean images of the owl. At least he isn't hiding behind a branch. I would be tempted to remove those two "branches/twigs" on the left side of the bird as they are a distraction (Lightroom can do that). I would also be tempted to use the Adjustment Brush to lighten up its eyes - I said "tempted".:biggrin-93:

I cloned out some of the branches, my cloning skills and I didn't spend much time on it. what do you think of it? :)

6-23-15 012-2.jpg

Last edited:
:icon_thumbsup: - this "cloned" version looks very good - great job. There seems to be a bit of an irregularity on the branch, but unless you had seen the first one, most viewers wouldn't notice it. I do a lot of cloning/healing in Lightroom, so I am probably a bit more aware of what to look for, particularly having seen the "uncloned" image.

WesternGuy

:icon_thumbsup: - this "cloned" version looks very good - great job. There seems to be a bit of an irregularity on the branch, but unless you had seen the first one, most viewers wouldn't notice it. I do a lot of cloning/healing in Lightroom, so I am probably a bit more aware of what to look for, particularly having seen the "uncloned" image.

WesternGuy

Thanks, this idea was all yours!:)

The only time that I ever see these trolls is after midnight, wonder how you guys always manage to spot them and get so close.. not fair! :blue:

The only time that I ever see these trolls is after midnight, wonder how you guys always manage to spot them and get so close.. not fair! :blue:

I'm 27 years old, have lived here my whole life, and this is the first time I have ever had a good look at one! Like you said they are only out at night, and there aren't very many of them. :)

I'm 27 years old...
hehe... old man!:dob: I'm only 26 :345:.

Here's a little trivia for you, in India, it's believed that finding a white owl means you're about to get rich as they are the ride of goddess Laxmi, the goddess of wealth. :icon_king:

Last edited:
hehe... old man!:dob: I'm only 26 :345:.

Here's a little trivia for you, in India, it's believed that finding a white owl means you're about to get rich as they are the ride of goddess Laxmi, the goddess of wealth. :icon_king:

I know India is a big place, but I will hunt you down for calling me a "Old Man" !!!:aufsmaul:

Well I am going to go out and start looking for a white owl! It would be nice to be rich for a change! ;)

Most reactions

Back