My first paying job!

wow I came in here to learn from you guys, and look what you do....put me down. WOW I am just learning and have only limited equipment. I only had a single window for light, oh and an external flash. I know these are not the best but considaring what I had to work with I would say they are not bad for the first time out. As far as him paying well I gave him a very very chaep price, not that its any ones business.

wow I came in here to learn from you guys, and look what you do....put me down. WOW I am just learning and have only limited equipment. I only had a single window for light, oh and an external flash. I know these are not the best but considaring what I had to work with I would say they are not bad for the first time out. As far as him paying well I gave him a very very chaep price, not that its any ones business.

It's not a put down, you wanted advise. When talking of a paying job, the tables are turned from that of an amateur playing around. You just turned "PRO" my friend. Often the only difference between an amateur and a Pro is the Professional takes money for his/her work. And limited equipment has little to do with it. Some of my best work was done in the mid sixties with a 35mm SLR. A Nikkormat FS without auto anything, not even a built in meter, and a 50mm f/2.0. Primitive? Ya. Limited? Only by my/your abilities and imagination. Don't use your equipment as a crutch. Get past that and listen to what people say to you. Most of the things said on this forum have value. If you are going to put your work out there to be evaluated and not listen to what is said, then it was a waste of time and electrons.

While some posts were harsh, they can be a gage of just what the general public might think when seeing your work. If the publics reaction is such, then presenting your work on a new release CD will do little for it's sales.

It's not a put down, you wanted advise. When talking of a paying job, the tables are turned from that of an amateur playing around. You just turned "PRO" my friend. Often the only difference between an amateur and a Pro is the Professional takes money for his/her work. And limited equipment has little to do with it. Some of my best work was done in the mid sixties with a 35mm SLR. A Nikkormat FS without auto anything, not even a built in meter, and a 50mm f/2.0. Primitive? Ya. Limited? Only by my/your abilities and imagination. Don't use your equipment as a crutch. Get past that and listen to what people say to you. Most of the things said on this forum have value. If you are going to put your work out there to be evaluated and not listen to what is said, then it was a waste of time and electrons.

While some posts were harsh, they can be a gage of just what the general public might think when seeing your work. If the publics reaction is such, then presenting your work on a new release CD will do little for it's sales.
Exactly what i was thinking, you put it well. Regardless of how much you charged him for the photos, i'd feel bad. imo im sry

Forget about masking/photoshop crap, shoot the thing right in the first place.
Theres nothing wrong with a white background, especially with dark skin tones, it means you can afford to use more light on his face without background shadows, the last one you might lose a little definition on that white suit but I think photoshop is appropriate for that.
The point is, that the light isn't good enough to make his face stand out, use flash but bounce it, use natural light but diffuse it, subtle changes in lighting strength can make a huge difference.
Practice on someone, then when you do the shoot for real you know roughly what you need without dragging your subject through a hundred test shots.
You need to sort out some focussing/dof issues aswell.
You dont have much gear, but what you do have can give much better results, with practice.
Paid or not is irrelivent and shouldn't be a focus of critique or even a general comment.

Funny, you offered no input!

:raisedbrow:

You dont have much gear, but what you do have can give much better results, with practice.
Paid or not is irrelivent and shouldn't be a focus of critique or even a general comment.
:raisedbrow:

Outstanding portraits can be had with nothing but a backdrop (can be a sheet) and an open garage door for a light source. Google Ron Kramer and look at some of his students work with bare bones equipment.

Paid is relevant. If its a freebee, most won't bother to critique the shot with a critical eye. Most will say, "That's nice, but...." and not get down to the meat of the problem. Once it's stated it's for pay, a professional gig, then most of us look at the image from a more critical perspective. But, it is a fact, for pay or not, if a shot has issues, they still exist weather it be for pay or pleasure.

Also check out Richard Avedons work from his trip across America. Nothing but a white bed sheet and natural light.
If using window light, then You could have done with using a reflector to bounce light back into his face. You say you have limited equipment, but a piece of white cardboard makes a great, cheap reflector.
Better luck next time and just keep on trying!

Paid is relevant. If its a freebee, most won't bother to critique the shot with a critical eye. Most will say, "That's nice, but...." and not get down to the meat of the problem. Once it's stated it's for pay, a professional gig, then most of us look at the image from a more critical perspective. But, it is a fact, for pay or not, if a shot has issues, they still exist weather it be for pay or pleasure.

I just dont think critiquing an image based on financial gain, is a solid foundation for impartial opinion.
Generally, there could be some sound financial advice regarding an image as part of critique, but it cant be the sole input or reason to post and at the same time be impartial....can it ?
Sometimes I think commentors care little for the poster, but take the oppertunity to make themselves feel better about their own work.
Fact is, without good shooters & pro's, hell would freeze over before any usefull advice made any difference.
Rough/Smooth

Hey if you can't take a little criticisim don't post your images. You need to realize getting some advice and criticisim here is better than having your client refuse to pay you because your images are not good. You should take all the posts here "cruel" or nice as a learning tool and take wht you can from them. Besides if you don't want criticisim don't post any images.

rude or not,this pictures suck.
Horrible.... ]=
you want to learn? great,read books,do projects, do this for free...but don't take money for a crapy job like this....are f*#@ serius?
I hate people like you, you give photography a bad name...only thinking about money...

Please don't put down people. Maybe this person is barely learning, and wants constructive critisism, and not put downs. :wink:

Based on how poorly the critique was handled, I'm not sure the OP will ever produce "professional" work. Nobody starts out as Ansel Adams. The difference between the mediocre photographers and the great photographers is that the great photographers were the mediocre photographers that never gave up no matter what people said.

Kelley,

I think for a first time you did a good job, but that is depending on how much you charged. I see no problem charging a little for your time, even if the photos did not come out with a pro finish look. Of course as long as the person paying knows about your experience and that there is no
guarantee.

The last one is good IMO and the others would be fine but the eyes not being sharp is the biggest problem.

I'm not putting people down, i'm telling the truth.
look,i dont have a problem whith beginers,i relly don't...i'm 17 years old and i'm photographin for less than a year, i own a 20d from september and before that i had fuji s5600.
I'm no Ansel Adams,BUT!!
if you charging from someone for yor job, then do it right!!
you call that mediocre? that's horrible ]:
dont take a job if you can't deliver...it doesn't matter how much you get paid, or who's טour client, there are some minimal standards!!
these pics are really bad,thats the truth...and any man with a little self dignity wouldn't take money for them...but this guy....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back