My first photo for critique...treat me gently!

John Orrell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The Land of 365-day Winters:North West England :(
I've shown this before, but not under "critique"

The baby (who's now 4 years old) is my wife's niece, being carried by her father. It was an opportunist shot, taken at a famous Blackpool funfair in October 2001. I know the background's less than ideal and a little distracting, but I chose a wide aperture to blur it. I could have perhaps gone wider still, but I was still in my DOF learning-phase back then.

The thing I like about this shot is the juxtaposition of a small, delicate one-year-old child being carried by the ear-ringed father whose face we don't see. In the UK there are some (largely unjustified) unflattering connotations attached to blokes who wear ear-rings: they're either gay or "rough". Just to prove the connotations wrong, the guy in question is neither of these, but non-the-less I do like the juxtaposition.

Bob--Lucy.jpg

The photo was taken on an Olympus OM1N + 50mm F/1.8 at 1/125th sec @ either F/2.8 or F/4 (can't remember which). Film-stock was Fuji Sensia 100, which I've slightly desaturated in Photoshop, because I find the reds too intense for portraits (everyone's lips glow red :shock: )

I like it, too. I have no problem with the composition, and I like the way the baby is looking right into the camera. :D

There is a pronounced magenta cast over the skin tones, however. I don't know how to advise you to reduce it, either, but we have lots of skilled photoshop folks on board who could. :D

terri said:
There is a pronounced magenta cast over the skin tones, however.
Yeah that's definately a byproduct of the scan (from my Espon RX500 printer), not on the original slide. I used Enhance/Adjust Color/Color Cast... in P/shop Elements 2, then "spot metered" from the sky at the back, but as you say there are still some color-issues.

The magenta cast can be reduced by adding green in increments - use the color balance tool (found in all photo manipulation software). Personally, I like your photo and the statement you are making - but feel it would be better stated in a good contrast B&W.

Tuna

im a bit taken by the large earring (ouch) and pearl necklace. :shock: :wink:

I've always been a fan of "Baby-looks-over-daddy's-shoulder"-portraits, for they give the baby in question this air of safety, snugness. This one's no exception.
I do agree that the - albeit blurred - background is still a little distracting, but since this WAS taken at a funfair, this is what you had at the time.
The baby looks happy, secure, and curious as to what you are doing. I like the expression you captured.
And despite the prejudice that may be going with the way her daddy decided he wanted to look, she seems to trust and love him dearly. That's the way it's meant to be!

JonMikal said:
im a bit taken by the large earring (ouch) and pearl necklace. :shock: :wink:
:lol: Sadly it's just a silver necklace. I'm sure he wishes it was pearl (he'd have it up for sale on E-Bay for sure)

Tuna said:
I like your photo and the statement you are making - but feel it would be better stated in a good contrast B&W.

Tuna
I've thought about that, but I wondered if without the "distraction" of color if the lights at the back would be even more prominent. See what you think (done in P/shop Elements 2):

Bob--Lucy_BW.jpg

For a white-point, I used Enhance/Adjust Brightness and Contrast/Levels... and spot metered off the overexposed sky at the back. For a black-point, I spot-metered off the dark patch to the left of Bob's neck. For a mid-grey point, I spot-metered off the middle of Lucy's foreheard.

I like the B&W.. but I would crop some off the bottom and off the right side. Dad's back is not the point of the pick after all.

(and being a man with an ear-ring - it don't bother me at all.)

Okay I agree the photo should be in black and white. No doubts there.

However, your scan seems lacking when you convert it to b&w. It seems like grain suddenly shows up, on the babies forehead for instance.

The other problem is in b&w the lights above become much too bright and wind up stealing some attention. These could easily be cloned out, or perhaps darkened. Make them a bit darker and they will no longer steal the spotlight.

Great emotion and great capture though.

LaFoto said:
I've always been a fan of "Baby-looks-over-daddy's-shoulder"-portraits, for they give the baby in question this air of safety, snugness. This one's no exception.

And despite the prejudice that may be going with the way her daddy decided he wanted to look, she seems to trust and love him dearly. That's the way it's meant to be!

Was thinking the same thing. Totally content!

jadin said:
Okay I agree the photo should be in black and white. No doubts there.

However, your scan seems lacking when you convert it to b&w. It seems like grain suddenly shows up, on the babies forehead for instance.

The other problem is in b&w the lights above become much too bright and wind up stealing some attention. These could easily be cloned out, or perhaps darkened. Make them a bit darker and they will no longer steal the spotlight.

Great emotion and great capture though.
Yeah I think the limitation is with the scan. You really have to use a proper slide-scanner to get decent scans of slides, as opposed to an all-in-one printer/scanner combo which just happens to be able to scan slides and negatives. As you say, the lights at the back become too distracting in B&W, which is what I mentioned earlier. I find B&W lends itself to photos where the main subject is either the brightest or darkest part of the picture, and on photos like this where the main subject is a mid-tone, it becomes lost in the cacophony surrounding it. Even Bob's shirt becomes a lighter tone in B&W than Lucy's face, which detracts from the intended effect. This could probably be toned down a bit with careful filtering.

Tighter crop works for me... something like this. But in the end it's a great composition and your pic... hope you didn't mind me messing with it...

Bob--Lucy_BW.jpg

Warmest regards and a happy new year!

Blackswann said:
hope you didn't mind me messing with it...
Not at all...we're all here to learn from each other, surely that's the whole point of the forum :)

I'm liking the square format. I still find the lights distracting though, and Lucy's face is too dark for something that's supposed to be the main subject; perhaps a bit of burning 'n' dodging in p/shop would be in order when I next get a few minutes to play ;)

Had a quick mess about with the pic on Photoshop see what you think... I am undecided... It had been 'dodged', levels adjusted to compensate and brightness contrast adjusted.

PTG1.jpg

...those eyes!!!! Must admit, though, she has a kind of halo effect now... mmmmmm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back