My first photos! Any advice?

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by keller, Oct 15, 2005.

1. keller

keller TPF Noob!

Blue Building: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6234/opera2ms.jpg
    Cityscape: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8978/southbank7vp.jpg

Hey all, I've just taken my very first photos (apart from the times I clicked away on my $20 compact, which doesn't count). They're both of the cityscape at night.

I think I've made a lot of mistakes with the photos, does anyone have any advice to improve on them?

With the 1st photo (blue building) I wanted to get all the various coloured lights contrasting with each other.

The 2nd photo was taken from a bridge over the river. I wanted to capture the river, the trees/riverbank, and the cityscape (all on the right-hand side of the river). I don't think my composition was too good, should I have taken the shot from across the river, or at least a different angle?

The photos were taken with a Canon A520 (4MP), with f2.6 and shutter speeds from 0.5 to 2 seconds (these two photos' shutter speed is about 0.8"). Photos were saved as JPEG.

2. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    These are your first photos? they are very very good, id be proud of these for my collection :)
    Try getting rid of the bottom bits, takes so much away from the photo...then everything else appears good to me :)

3. speciespython

speciespython TPF Noob!

i agree...i like the 2nd one :)

is that...melbourne? :confused:

laura

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    FIRSTS?
    Well. Wow.
    Some jump in headfirst and really know what they are doing here! If I think of my first attempts at photography, not to mention nighttime photography...............!

5. keller

keller TPF Noob!

Hey all, thanks for the encouragement :)

Yep, it's in Melbourne, right on the Yarra in the middle of the city. Lights were quite bad that night though, but I found increasing the shutter speed helped brightened it up.

Yeah the bottom bit is a bit of a problem, I didn't realise it was there until I uploaded the camera, its actually the bridge fence where I mounted my camera. Next time I'll need to move the camera closer, or buy a tripod.

Do you think those pictures could have looked better if they were darker or lighter? I did about 20 shots with different shutter speeds (ranging from 0.4 to 2"), and took out what I thought to be the better-lighted ones.

6. kalee

kalee TPF Noob!

#2 is gorgeous!!

very nice. i think it's just perfect.