My first photos, looking for feedback

bmwardo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I went up to Red Rocks Amphitheater the other night just after the sun went down to see what my new Nikon D40x could do with the 18-55mm kit lense. I have done nothing to them in Photoshop. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

All shots were in Program Mode

Shutter 28 sec f4.5 @ 32mm
DSC_0254.jpg

Shutter 30 sec f3.5 @ 18mm (I put my cars brights directed on the rock)
DSC_0258.jpg

Shutter 10 sec f3.5 @ 18mm
DSC_0260.jpg

Shutter 30 sec f5.3 @ 45mm
DSC_0262.jpg

Shutter 30 sec f5.3 @ 45mm
DSC_0266.jpg

Thanks!

Shutter 28 sec f4.5 @ 32mm
DSC_0254.jpg

I like most all of the photos you have. The first one, though, looks very dark and flat to me. I hope you don't mind, but I tried messing with it a bit in photoshop. may have over-done it but this looked more pleasing to me

2211984971_531c2ceaa3_o.jpg

I probably made the sky too blue, but it's really just to show how much difference there is between the two photos

It may be just me, but the effect of the negative space in the last one is a bit too overpowering. I see what you were going for though.

I thought exactly the same thing. The first photo is pretty flat and lacking contrast, but I was pleasantly pleased with all of the others. I have been waiting 2 weeks for my tripod to show up so I can do night shots. (tapping foot!)

Excellent, thanks for the info and showing me the difference in the first shot. I expect had I been 20 minutes earlier that would be the exact shot I would have received (good lesson for me).

I am also pretty new with photoshop, if you guys don't mind what version are you guys using and what sort of fixup tools did/would you use for the after version on photo one?

Thanks!

#4 is fantastic! I love the layers of mountains that are receding into the background getting lighter each time, it gives very nice depth.

i use cs3 extended. i previously used cs2.

here's a few tutorials for ya

tutorial

tutorial

you can google for more.......try photoshop tutorials or free photoshop tutorials.

youtube is another good place for tutorials

good luck :)

Most reactions

Back