My first photos up for analysis

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by srt86hil, Jul 23, 2008.

1. srt86hil

srt86hil TPF Noob!

Hi all,

I've only been taking photos for about a month now, so I'm far from experienced but I thought I'd offer a few of my favourites up for c&c (im not sure what this stands for, but anyway I want some criticism!). Sorry about the large size, I didn't know how to make them smaller. Here we go:

-1-
    [​IMG]

-2-
    [​IMG]

-3-
    [​IMG]

-4-
    [​IMG]

-5-
    [​IMG]

-6-
    [​IMG]

1 was taken in Cambridge UK, 2 and 3 were taken at a theme park and 4,5,6 were in my back garden yesterday afternoon. They've all undergone a bit of ps, as you can probably tell. Fire away!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. Computer_Generated

Computer_Generated TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good eye! I like #3 the best. I have a thing for clouds though. :) The banana one kinda caught my attention too though. I think you did a good job here.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    C&C stands for "Comments and Critique" on our forum (on the forum my son goes to, which is an Angler's Forum, it stands for "Catch and Cook", but we don't mean that here :D :D :D).

First of all: welcome to the world of photography. Second: welcome to ThePhotoForum.

And then third and most important: looks like you are on the right track!
    The photos look good, they seem to err more on the side of under exposure than over exposure, which is good since too dark photos can often be "rescued" with the help of post processing software, whereas overexposed (totally blown) parts are definitely lost forever and can never be brought back, not even by the best of pp-software.

Focus is good. Chosen aperture and consequent depth of field (DOF) look good and well thought out. And since I personally am a fan of repetition as one possible element of composition, I must like the bananas best of all. I cannot help it.

4. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great pics, 1 and 3 are my kind my kind of thing and the bananas shot is just makes me smile. I like the snail pic too, I'm not sure if it's slightly soft though or the background blur is just making me see that. Hopefully an adult will come along soon and put me straight.

You've been shooting around the same time as me so I may use you as a benchmark from time to time. :) Welcome to TPF, stick around, these guys can teach you stuff.

5. srt86hil

srt86hil TPF Noob!

Ooh sounds a bit like a competition to me :). Yeah the snail's a bit dodgy, cos it had some really blotchy bokeh behind it, so i gave the bg a gaussian blur, and had issues removing the 'halo'.

6. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You know us Scots, any excuse to march over the border, (the main one being our weather's rubbish.) :)

I can see the halo now you point it out but it still works for me.

7. RubyRed

RubyRed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love your eye for composition!

The black and white shots have a really nice feel to them, I just love old church architecture in black and white.

The repetition in the stuffed bananas is a nice use of Gestalt theory in your composition. Love it!