My first photos with my new camera :)

Ihasacamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Feel free to tell me what I'm doing right or wrong :) I'm new to photography. :lol:

3492139767_6c11170bd5_b.jpg

3492137499_742cb3d9b7_b.jpg

Well you have the idea but i would recommend and external flash or natural lighting because the direct lighting is very harsh. Doin good for a beginner though. Just keep shooting and you will learn.

The first shot has a decent concept (Guns and Roses, I suspect). The tilt could be good, too. The background / surroundings is the first killer of your idea. It really does make it a snap shot in the corner instead of bringing out your idea. The second thing, as mentioned above, is the lighting. You can try things like moving the setup near a window, or even out side. You may want to narrow your depth of field in your new setting to help reduce unwanted background.

The second shot is better. Composite is not too far off. Keeping the front paws in the shot will help, or go the other way and crop for more of a portrait. The DOF is not bad, but, again, the lighting is the big killer here. Also, little things, like removing the collar for a more "serious" shot helps, too.

HTH

Don't use that flash so close to a wall (or at all if you can help it). Bring the objects AWAY from the wall, so the shadow trails behind the subject (out of sight of the camera).

In the picture of the dog the focus point is on the nose instead of the eyes. Instead of letting the camera decide which focus point to use, check your manual and find out how to select the focus point that you want to use. That way you control what is in focus and what isn't.

The first shot just looks like a test shot using the pop-up flash.

In the picture of the dog the focus point is on the nose instead of the eyes. Instead of letting the camera decide which focus point to use, check your manual and find out how to select the focus point that you want to use. That way you control what is in focus and what isn't.

The first shot just looks like a test shot using the pop-up flash.

Yeah, I actually took the camera out of the box, charged the battery, then came back and started snapping shots.

I have a lot to learn about lighting. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try to apply the info and post a couple more shots later.

If you are new to photography, I will recommend getting "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. It will help you learn the important basics, then you can experiment from there. Search at Amazon.com for it, and buy it !! Solid investment for a beginning photog for sure...

have it reserved from the library :)

Another good book is Fundamentals of Photography by Tom Ang. Both beginners (like me as well) to those more advanced can benifit from.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Photography-Essential-Handbook-Digital/dp/0375711570/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241366898&sr=8-1]Here is a link from Amazon.com[/ame]

A couple good books to go along with those ones are "The Digital Photgraphy Book" by Scott Kelby. Volume one and two. Great books in my opinion. It'll cover just about anything you need to know and has a lot of good information.

In the first photo, the curtain in the lower left is a bit distracting. You have the right idea though.

Yep, those books and "Understanding Exposure" will go a long way towards making you a good photographer.

A couple good books to go along with those ones are "The Digital Photgraphy Book" by Scott Kelby. Volume one and two. Great books in my opinion. It'll cover just about anything you need to know and has a lot of good information.

In the first photo, the curtain in the lower left is a bit distracting. You have the right idea though.

Here are a couple more :)

3501482334_6e74971748_b.jpg

3500611719_b5e2d06c74_b.jpg

Nice attempt with the second picture, but why did you not show the bottom of the hydrant?

Most reactions

Back