My first photoshoot with a model. CC welcome

Are you planning on doing any post production in Photoshop?

eg.
_MG_6855.jpg

Everyone has complimented lighting so far and I agree except for #3 and #4 which I think are a train wreck. You have her face turned toward the shade but there's that harsh daylight casting strong shadows on her and the prop. Seems to me like this kind of contrast is not what you want in a shot like this. What do others think?

Nice edit! I am not sure. I feel like I can go forever trying to PP it. So many different things you can do.

Are you planning on doing any post production in

I think you did beautiful! you needed a reflector for some but all in all they are good...You picked a great spot, perfect time of the day and posing looks good too :D
Here's my thought for them:

1- LOVE! She is centered great and I love the chair. I would have loved to see her smile just a bit..this expression says "Get this over with" or I'm just posing"
2- Lighting is great, IMO- it would have looked better horizontally and zoomed in a bit.
3- Like this one too, but that pole sticking straight up to the right side of photo, kind of distracts me. If you would have angled a little to the left it wouldn't have been right there smack in the middle..
4- Pretty!
5- Like the colors! Again I would have zoomed in, just a tad :)
6- Another zoom for me, you catured a great expression that shows her sweet side and if it were closer you would be able to see this more. But love this idea..
7- Looks like a model. Reflector would have helped..
8- Needs reflector to really light up her face or even a strobe would have helped light her eyes too.
9- cute
10- I would have moved towards the pole just a little to prevent the dark shadow (distracting)
11- Really pretty!

I hope my C&C isn't offensive in any way...I think you did fabulous! :)

I assume she is a friend of yours. I just wanted to say having done some modelling in my younger days that when you do a portfolio dont forget to keep the outfit simple sometimes jeans and a white/black tshirt or tank with jeans works best. Agencies want to remember her face not what she is wearing.

Thanks Dee.. I will definitely use your tips. No she is not a friend of mine. She posted something on CL and I responded.

Some real potential there. Good job for you AND the new model. Share some tips you learned here with her and have another go at it. Nothing but good will come of it.

She'll never make it as a 'model'. She has one expression, and her features are not so good for the camera's eye. I'm sure she's a lovely girl,and a wonderful person on the flesh, but in 2-D, for the lens, she's not a good subject. The way she holds her lips makes me think she has less than perfect teeth or something. She's just not "emoting"...and in this set, her wardrobe is doing very little to enhance the shots.

I snorted. :lol:

You really are amazing, Derrel. I mean, you know the future without reservation or regard for reality. That level of ignorance cannot be taught, it has to be inherited. Good job! :lmao:

Last edited:
#7 is my favorite. Her one leg is bent a little awkwardly, but I like the pose and expression otherwise. I think the lighting is the best in this one too.

I also think that all your background choices were too cluttered and in focus. There's a lot going on, and our eyes should be drawn to her face immediately.

Yup, I will step up my game this Sunday, and she will too. I will also be shooting another model. They are both going to do swimsuit shots.. Yikes! More challenges!

Some real potential there. Good job for you AND the new model. Share some tips you learned here with her and have another go at it. Nothing but good will come of it.

If you don't mind a newbie chiming in two things I noticed

In the photo #1 the bottom side of your $10 chair looks a little ragged

In Photo #4 it looks like she is really struggling to keep her dress down to keep things covered up.

Ugh Her Tattoo i the only thing I notice - Its very distracting, But I guess you can do anything about that.
Agreed about the same facial expression in each photo.
I like numkber 8 and number 5 best though

Beautiful pics, really liked no. 5 & 6.

Do you any setting in your camera to click the pic like in no. 5 ?? Just the dress is in color and rest of the background is b&w I guess.

Lighting.
I would say that if you plan on pursuing this type of photography, I would go out by yourself and work on your lighting in similar locations.
I personally feel as though you have a lot of hot spots in the photos (2-6), and the others have fairly bland light. It may just be me, but some of the shots have more of a provocative pose to them (not sure if you were going for that), not that I mind though.

I like 8, I just wish there was better light on her face.
I like 9, the leading lines are cool, just a poor choice for a top.

Here is an example of where you should take your lighting
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/05/joe-mcnally-desert-shoot.html

I love number 5, but her legs look a bit awkward for me, I'd have prefered them to one side, or straight up. It would have made her look taller :)
But good job over all!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back