My first pics! Constructive critics are welcome

carlostau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, this is my first DSLR. I had it for 20 days. Here's a few pics I took trying to use different shutter / aperture settings to obtain a "creatively" correct exposure.
I know I still need a lot of practice but I'm happy with the results so far.
All pics taken with a Nikon D40 kit lens or 55-200VR

1. Slow shutter speed handheld (don't have a tripod yet)
cascadarp7.jpg

2. "Zooming" technique.. Still need practice
autobo2.jpg

3. Bonsai tree. Shot in Apperture priority
bonsaivk8.jpg

4. Seagulls. Shot in Shutter priority
pajarosns6.jpg

5. Bokeh indoors (55-200 VR)
jarronoc8.jpg

6. Bokeh outdoors (55-200 VR)
patorw9.jpg

i cant criticise but there some nice ones..
except the zoom one makes me dizzy ;)

I think you're on the right track. I like 2 a lot.

2,3,and 4 I'd say are great. 5 and 6 don't really do anything for me but they look like you accomplished what you were trying.

Number 1 could still be usable as a watermark even. 1 is the only one I'd say needs the most practice.

Welcome to the forums! I am new here as well so I am not in the position to critique your work. Although I must agree that #2 makes me dizzy too. My fave is the bonsai with the little starburst of sun through it. Starbursts are awesome!

2 makes you dizzy? I must be a wierdo.

You could probably add some cool color effects to number 2 to make the streaks all fancy pants. Keep up the good work!!

Actually the more I look at it I'm getting a little dizzy. I still like what I said I liked though.

really liking some of them, the seagul and bonzai tree ones i think are really good, congratulations, you're on the right track...

as for photo 1, it's impressively steady, nice ;) haha

I think you're on the right track. I like 2 a lot.

2,3,and 4 I'd say are great. 5 and 6 don't really do anything for me but they look like you accomplished what you were trying.

Number 1 could still be usable as a watermark even. 1 is the only one I'd say needs the most practice.

Thank you!. Regarding 5 & 6 you are right, I was trying to accomplish the effect rather than "communicate" anything.
Number 1 would looked better with a tripod and a slower shutter speed. Handheld is very dificcult, thank God for VR :wink:

Putting the subject in the middle is degrading these shots. Though it's not a hard and fast rule to always put your subject off to one side... almost always it makes the shot more interesting. Tripods are almost a must it seems like to me... I'm ALWAYS needing it when I don't have it and wish I would have brought it with me. I would recommend getting a tripod. It doesn't have to be really expensive either... I have some nice sharp shots on mine (that just got stolen yesterday GRRRR...) that cost me $50 I believe.

Putting the subject in the middle is degrading these shots. Though it's not a hard and fast rule to always put your subject off to one side... almost always it makes the shot more interesting. Tripods are almost a must it seems like to me... I'm ALWAYS needing it when I don't have it and wish I would have brought it with me. I would recommend getting a tripod. It doesn't have to be really expensive either... I have some nice sharp shots on mine (that just got stolen yesterday GRRRR...) that cost me $50 I believe.

Thanks for the input. I usually try to put the subject on one side when taking portraits to balance the image and make it more interesting, as you mentioned. Here's one I took just for the fun of it:

trainedxf0.jpg

Only because I'm anal retentive.

Clean up that rust!

I wish I was close to the beach especially the beach you're in. Sure you have some easy on the eyes people. I assume a service animal is a seeing eye dog?

LOL, yes that's what it is, Either a dog for a blind person or for a police officer I guess. I didn't want to clean the rust though... none of the pics here where retouched. I was @ Ft Lauderdale on vacations. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Your photos are interesting and look like you're putting your heart into them. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll be where you want to be.

How did you get that zoom effect on the mustang picture? My D40 is on it's way. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

I think your off to a good start. Just take lots of pictures, you'll see a slow improvement. Reading a few books never hurts either. I've found that technical expertise comes a lot from reading (and obviously some practice and repitition) and composition will come with experience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back