My First Picture - C&C Please

Doonagoowin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys!

So I've been lurking around on this forum for quite a while. I've taken a few snapshots here and there, but I need some help to develop my skills.

Here's the first serious picture I've taken. Was bored after finals today, and I spent the whole day playing CoD and reading up on the technical stuff. After getting the hang of it, I looked around for some pictures to take.

Here's one I liked the best. It's a train set under our Christmas tree.

The Polar Express :D

IMG_0005.jpg

I only cloned out a few "needles" on the ground.
Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. Is there any need for resizing?

Last edited:
not bad for a first shot. the train is a little underexposed, some nicely placed fill flash would probably have helped. also, be mindful of your background, getting all tree would have been better than the hutch imo.

Thanks guys!
Oh I meant resizing as in a thumbnail or smaller image. I guess Photobucket/the forum does that already, so no need.

Very nice image - the picture works well. Focus is apt; I think you have opened the aperture to it's max; try stepping down by a stop and see. Angle that you have shot is excellent. The X-mas tree in the background is nicely defocused; the cabinet at the left edge does not add to the image - if you could recompose the image, it will perhaps be better. Overall - :thumbup:

Not bad, the background is distracting though.

I am not sure if I'm correct on this but to my eyes, the white balance looks off a little.

I agree with using just the tree as the back ground and exposing on the train more. Flash it or go to PS and selective lighten it? Just a tad more light and I liked the idea of stopping down a little to give yourself a little more depth of field!.

Congrats on a neat photo and keep trying! It only gets better as the photos get better!

Most reactions

Back