My first picture

djl4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. I just got my first DSLR, a Nikon D40. I love it. It's so much different from my point and shoot camera. I don't know much about taking "professional" pictures. I just basically "pointed and shot" up until now.

Here's a picture of my home:

dsc0011ac5.jpg

This was shot using automatic settings with auto focus. I don't know how to use the camera fully yet, so I just did everything automatic.

I just want to know what you think about it. I'm open to any suggestions, advices, recommendations, etc.
But don't just say, "your exposure or whatever is off." If something is not right, please explain specifically how I can fix it! I really don't know anything about photography, and I'm willing to learn.

Thank you.

P mode is a great place to start. Take a few hundred shots in P and you will start to see where a photo could be improved, at that point start messing with A and S modes. In the meantime, read the manual through and through and experiment with the different exposure modes, focus modes and flash modes. I've had my D40 for a few months now, it may be the "entry level" Nikon but it is an extremely capable camera, I love mine!

So... You are still pointing and shooting.

Get a good beginner photography book, learn the basics (the bare basics come pretty quick), and start playing around.

As far as what is wrong with the photo above: the subject is boring, the angle is boring, and you have things half-in the photo that need to either be in or out.

If you are willing to learn, that's great, but I don't teach photography classes. If someone tells you that your exposure is off, and you don't know what that means, then you haven't done enough learning on your own yet.

Most reactions

Back