My first pictures here, being rude is allowed ;)

Quote: Originally Posted by Samanax
Very nice shot. Down at the dog's level, shallow DOF, did you adjust the white balance? Composition is actually pretty nice.

The cameras white balance was regular so the picture came out too yellow/red to my liking so I photoshopped it a bit. I actually have a few different versions of this now since I couldn't make up my mind which looked the best :lol:.

Talking about DOF... I forgot to mention that the dog pic was taken at 50mm with aperture of f/2,8. Now obviously the kit lens can't do that so this shot I took with a borrowed Nifty Fifty. That lens will be my next purchase for sure... I miss the abilities of that cheap & cheerful thing with it's wide aperture at that focal lenght :roll:.

I like the 3rd photo the best. Just curious, what do you have the glass in 2nd photo set on?

Cheers,
Majdi

It's set on another, longer glass which is upside down. Inside that glass is a mini Maglite pointing upwards.

These are some great shots!

#1. I'm a sucker for dogs, love the shot! Something weird going on with the drapes, some strange brown splotchyness, might be from over processing or my screen, don't know.

#2. This is a good idea, but it isn't doing much right now. I would experiment with the lighting and trying a little post processing, like brightening up the subject.

#3. Fantastic shot, loving the high contrast. I wanted to shoot something like this, over exposed so the snow and light encroaches on the dark trees, then doing some high contrast between them. You need to shift the perspective a little, that space isn't centered and it's distracting.

Nice work!

I forgot to mention that the dog pic was taken at 50mm with aperture of f/2,8.

Did you mean 1.8? I may be wrong, but I think being f/1.8 or faster is what makes it nifty, otherwise it's just a semi-fast lens at 50mm..

Did you mean 1.8? I may be wrong, but I think being f/1.8 or faster is what makes it nifty, otherwise it's just a semi-fast lens at 50mm..
He may have used the EF 50mm f/1.8 II "Nifty Fifty" lens but had the aperture set to f/2.8 (instead of wide open at f/1.8) when he took the picture of the dog.

He may have used the EF 50mm f/1.8 II "Nifty Fifty" lens but had the aperture set to f/2.8 (instead of wide open at f/1.8) when he took the picture of the dog.

Oh yeah, didn't think of that..

These are some great shots!

#1. I'm a sucker for dogs, love the shot! Something weird going on with the drapes, some strange brown splotchyness, might be from over processing or my screen, don't know.

#2. This is a good idea, but it isn't doing much right now. I would experiment with the lighting and trying a little post processing, like brightening up the subject.

#3. Fantastic shot, loving the high contrast. I wanted to shoot something like this, over exposed so the snow and light encroaches on the dark trees, then doing some high contrast between them. You need to shift the perspective a little, that space isn't centered and it's distracting.

Nice work!

Thanks for the comments! I need some critisism as well here since that's how I'll learn :wink:. And you're right about the brown thingys in the first pic... I hadn't noticed them but they exist in the original file as well. I have no idea what caused them. I guess I could remove them with photoshop though...

stsinner said:
Quote: Originally Posted by Samanax

Oh yeah, didn't think of that..

Yes, that's correct. I may have expressed myself badly. The lens was indeed the f/1.8 50mm aka Nifty Fifty but it wasn't set wide open. I just meant the kit lens can't reach that aperture especially at those focal lenghts. At 50mm the kit lens can only achieve either f/5 or f/5.6 so this shot wouldn't have had the kind of DOF it now has.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back