My First Portrait Posted

vandecarr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

My name is Mike and I'm new here. I'm a full time photographer/digital imageer.

I thought I'd share a portrait with you, get your opinions, etc...

My wife actually took the picture and I thought she captured a nice moment of our kids with their grandpa.

I did some enhancing on it and really liked the results. I look forward to your thoughts and I hope you like it.

I should tell you what I did to it.

1-fixed levels
2-added an s-curve
3-channel mixer to monochrome then, slightly added a small amount of color back into it
4-hand colored 2 jackets and the bucket
5-added a lens flair for a dreamy look
6-used a softning trick

Scrool down just a little and you'll see the picture.

Mike V

I was going to suggest cropping out the flair before I read that you added it in. I would personally skip it. I find it a distraction. I would also crop out some of the tree in the left. That's a lot of dark space taking up the image. A crop off the left and top brings the focus a bit more on the three.

markc said:
I was going to suggest cropping out the flair before I read that you added it in. I would personally skip it. I find it a distraction. I would also crop out some of the tree in the left. That's a lot of dark space taking up the image. A crop off the left and top brings the focus a bit more on the three.

Mark, you read my mind.

Pete

Thanks,

I accidiantly uploaded the wrong picture and didn't pay attention to what I was doing.

Here is the one it was supposed to be which is almost what you both mentioned except about the lens flair. That Part I won't change in this portrait because it add's a dreamy feel to it...at least in the cropped version.

In the first one it is a major distraction.

here it is:

grandkidsfinishedweb.jpg

Mike

Why do you think a lens flair adds a dreamy feel?

I would like to see the original before PS.

JEazy said:
Why do you think a lens flair adds a dreamy feel?

I would like to see the original before PS.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I also would like to know what the original looked like..:blushing:

Hi guys,

Here is the original:

32606dadandboys.jpg

After I softend it it looked good but when I tryed some different things with a lens flare it gave me more of a dreamlike feeling.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Mike V

I thought , perhaps, I would get further feedback after delivering your request and posting the original picture.

Anything?

Thanks,
Mike V

I thought , perhaps, I would get further feedback after delivering your request and posting the original picture

Don't take it personal...

It's harder to give feed back on so many images...and your style is very 'artistic'...which doesn't lead to a lot of photo related comments....

I like what you have done...the very first one...and the little chicken one...you are taking snap shots and making them interesting. A lot of us would suggest trying to improve the photography aspect first...any not doing so much in post...but that's just a suggestion...you seem to be doing fine with what you are doing.

Big Mike said:
A lot of us would suggest trying to improve the photography aspect first...any not doing so much in post...but that's just a suggestion...you seem to be doing fine with what you are doing.

Well said.

very understandable. nothing personal was taken.

mike v

Most reactions

New Topics

Back